Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ANN statement on journalists’ release

ANN statement on journalists’ release

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Reuters journalists Wa Lone (left) and Kyaw Soe Oo gesture after being freed on Tuesday. Ann Wang/AFP

ANN statement on journalists’ release

The Asia News Network, an alliance of 24 leading media in 20 Asian countries, welcomes the release of Reuters journalists Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo by the Myanmar government on Tuesday.

We applaud the government’s decision to release both men and urge upon the government the need to protect and ensure press freedom.

Both Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo had been imprisoned for over 500 days for simply doing their job and reporting the truth.

While we commend the government on their release, we maintain that neither should have spent a day behind bars.

While we do not question Myanmar’s right to press for redress if it feels wronged by a news report, we question the use of a colonialera law, introduced by an oppressive British colonial government, to maintain order.

We humbly remind the government that, as Myanmar democratises and strives to throw off the weight of past oppression, such laws are a heavy anchor imposed upon her by past injustices.

A credible press is a crucial and a necessary component of a civil society.

A vibrant media sector and inquisitive journalists are assets for the population and should not be muzzled, intimidated or censored.

Myanmar journalists sadly remain under severe threat despite the Reuters journalists’ release. asia news network

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will