Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ATP serves up tour prize money boost



ATP serves up tour prize money boost

ATP serves up tour prize money boost

As Tennis Cambodia braces up to the challenge of hosting the second tier of men’s pro-circuit in the next few years, the Association of Tennis Professionals has announced significant efforts to enhance the ATP Challenger Tour with increased prize money.

The Challenger network is spread over 150 tournaments across the world and serves as a springboard for players to compete on the more lucrative ATP World Tour.

The lowest category tournaments have been marked for a prize money boost by 2017 with the current level of $40,000 plus hospitality, which includes hotel accommodation for main draw players, raised to $50,000 with all the fringe benefits retained.

But with immediate effect, the ATP will be offering all current minimum prize money tournaments a subsidy to move up to $50,000 plus hospitality this year.

The new ATP initiative means the Challengers will be heading for a 100 per cent increase in prize money inside 10 years, since the minimum level in 2007 was $25,000 which went up to $35,000 and then $ 40,000 in 2014.

“Men’s professional tennis is enjoying one of the most successful periods in its history; however, it is essential that we see growth across all levels of the game,” said Chris Kermode, executive chairman and president of the ATP

“Almost every player earns their stripes on the Challenger Tour before they make it on the ATP World Tour and every bit of extra prize money helps as they look to forge a career in men’s professional tennis. The ATP is committed to making that career path as viable as possible,” he said.

The enhancements at Challenger level come after an extensive strategic review by the ATP’s internal Challenger Tour Management Committee, formed at the start of 2014 and led by Alison Lee, ATP executive vice-president of the International Group region.

“The success and growth of the ATP Challenger Tour is critical to the overall health of our sport and we need to ensure that the lower levels of the professional game do not get left behind,” Lee said.
“Prize money is just one part of the equation. We are also pleased with a number of other enhancements set to take place this year, related to calendar flow, medical services, player development, officiating and marketing, all of which will improve the services we are able to provide players at this level,” the head of the Challenger Tour Management Committee said.

The ATP will also provide additional umpires, physiotherapists and player relations staff across a number of tournaments, as well as continuing its focus on ensuring that more tournaments are staged in regional swings which complement ATP World Tour tournaments, enabling players to reduce costs and travel time.

The ATP is also working closely with world governing body ITF relating to planned enhancements at Futures tournaments to ensure a seamless pathway for players from Futures to Challenger level. It should be recalled that a senior marketing executive of the ATP visited Cambodia middle of last year during an extensive trip of the Southeast Asian region to explore the possibility of creating a Challenger network in the region.

Since 2011, Tennis Cambodia has been hosting the ITF Futures events, the last package of three were staged in Phnom Penh between November 16 and December 6 last year.

Tennis Cambodia is working out a master plan to step up to the Challenger level in the next couple of seasons.

In 2014 the total prize money on the ATP Challenger Tour touched $9.2 million. Asia accounted for 21 per cent of the total tournaments held during the year, with Europe topping the list at 47 per cent.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to

  • PM: Do not defile Tonle Sap swamp forest or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered police to arrest anyone – including government officials – involved with the deforestation of the flooded forests surrounding the Tonle Sap Lake because it is an area important to the spawning of many species of fish, among other reasons. Speaking in a