Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dakar Rally mourns after rider death

Dakar Rally mourns after rider death

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Portuguese motorcyclist Paulo Goncalves is attended by medical staff after a crash on Stage 7 of the Dakar Rally between Riyadh and Wadi ad-Dawasir in Saudi Arabia on Sunday. AFP

Dakar Rally mourns after rider death

Portuguese motorbike rider Paulo Goncalves died after a crash in the Dakar Rally on Sunday, the 40-year-old becoming the gruelling motorsport marathon’s 25th fatality.

Goncalves suffered the fatal accident after 276km of the seventh stage from Riyadh to Wadi ad-Dawasir.

“The organisers received an alert at 10:08am (0708 GMT) and dispatched a medical helicopter that reached the biker at 10:16am and found him unconscious after going into cardiac arrest,” a statement on the rally’s official website reported.

“Following resuscitation efforts in situ, the competitor was taken by helicopter to Layla Hospital, where he was sadly pronounced dead.”

Dakar director David Castera revealed it was Australian defending bike champion Toby Price who was the first to discover the stricken Goncalves lying on the sand.

Goncalves was competing in his 13th edition of the Dakar. He made his debut in 2006 when it was staged in Africa, and took second to Marc Coma in 2015 in South America.

“Paulo was someone who had been around for a long time, who we all knew, who was a feature of the rally,” Castera said.

“So this is a very difficult time.”

The Indian-backed Hero Motosports rider only made it to this year’s first Dakar staged in Saudi Arabia after recovering from a ruptured spleen in a crash in his native Portugal in December.

‘Knot in your stomach’

Following surgery he said before the rally got under way: “It’s a victory for me to be here at the start.”

Goncalves was placed 46th in the overall bike standings after Friday’s sixth stage.

His death cast a pall over the seventh stage action won by Carlos Sainz in a Mini.

The last Dakar competitor to be killed was Polish rider Michal Hernik in 2015 in Argentina.

With 20 of the 25 Dakar deaths since the inaugural edition in 1979 made up of bike riders, Castera dwelt on the risks faced by riders.

“We know that bikes are dangerous. You set off in the morning, you have a knot in your stomach sometimes because you don’t have any protection, you have nothing.

“They all know that, these riders,” said Castera, a veteran of five Dakars on a motorbike.

Stephane Peterhansel, who counts six bike wins among his 13 Dakar titles, reflected: “I always felt I was playing with fire on a bike. I ended my bike career very young and saw friends die in front of me.”

The Frenchman added: “When we passed [the scene of the accident] I had a really bad feeling. When you see all the medical officers busy, a survival blanket over the rider, you know something terrible has happened.”

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa in an official statement said Goncalves had died “attempting to accomplish the dream of winning one of the most dangerous and toughest rallies in the world”.

He described him as “a highly distinguished” sporting ambassador for Portugal, while Portuguese MotoGP rider Miguel Oliveira paid tribute to Goncalves’ “courage and bravery”.

Two-time former Formula One champion Fernando Alonso, making his Dakar debut, commented: “This sport is extreme . . . mechanical sports can never be 100 per cent safe.”

Monday’s motorcycle action on the eighth stage in and around Wadi ad-Dawasir was cancelled “in order to give the riders time to mourn their friend”, said organisers.

On a sombre day in the desert, Sainz tightened his grip on the overall car standings with his third stage win of this year’s edition.

The 57-year-old Spaniard in a Mini completed the longest special between Riyadh and Wadi ad-Dawasir over two minutes clear of Toyota rival Nasser Al-Attiyah, with his fellow Mini driver Peterhansel in third.

Sainz, a two-time former world rally champion, is in a strong position to add to his Dakar wins in 2010 and 2018.

With seven stages completed and five days’ racing to go, he enjoys a comfortable 10 minute cushion over last year’s winner Al-Attiyah, with Peterhansel a further nine minutes adrift.

American Ricky Brabec retained his overall bike lead finishing fifth on the day behind Kevin Benavides.

Joan Barreda was initially marked down as the day’s winner, but Benavides was awarded back the time he had spent attending Goncalves.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does

  • Nine on Indonesia flight Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday confirmed nine more imported cases of Covid-19. The nine ‒ eight Cambodians and one Indonesian, aged 22 to 26 ‒ arrived in Cambodia on Thursday via a direct flight from Indonesia and are receiving treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hostipal in Phnom Penh.

  • Kingdom’s financial sector healthy

    Cambodia's financial sector remains on a sustainable growth path despite the Covid-19 pandemic squeezing crucial industries, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) governor Chea Chanto said. Tourism, garments and footwear have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 impact, he said, whereas the financial and agriculture sectors

  • Vietnam told to remove border tents

    Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophoan has ordered local authorities to prohibit the construction of buildings in areas bordering Cambodia and to report any irregularities immediately. Recently, Vietnamese officials removed another seven tents from the border area with Cambodia. His remarks were made on Wednesday afternoon