Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - French Open tournament start date to be delayed



French Open tournament start date to be delayed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Organisers hope the week's delay in staging the French Open will allow the maximum number of fans to attend the event as Covid-19 restrictions are eased in France. AFP

French Open tournament start date to be delayed

The 2021 French Open tennis tournament will be delayed by one week, a source close to the organisers said on April 7.

The clay-court Grand Slam event was set to begin on May 23, but will now get underway on May 30 in the hope of more fans being able to attend at Roland Garros.

Last year’s French Open was delayed by four months and held in September and October instead of its longstanding May-June slot.

Crowds were limited to just 1,000 spectators each day.

Coronavirus restrictions were tightened across France last Wednesday although all professional sport is carrying on, albeit behind closed doors. President Emmanuel Macron has expressed a wish to re-open cinemas, museums and theatres in mid-May.

On April 6, the French sports ministry said the government was discussing a possible delay of “a few days”.

French player Alize Cornet hit out at sports minister Roxana Maracineanu and Macron’s government over the postponement.

“It stays between us but our sport minister is a disaster. Sorry,” Cornet told the Tennis Channel after her second-round win over Elise Mertens at the WTA event in Charleston in the US on April 7.

“I’m sorry, I have nothing against her but she only takes bad decisions for sport like she doesn’t care. And I know it comes from the government, I’m pretty sure.

“[It] might come also from the tournament because I heard they might have more people if they postpone for one week.

“But still, I think it’s a pretty selfish decision to be honest because the calendar is going to suffer from this postponement.”

Last month, Gilles Moretton, the new president of the French Tennis Federation (FFT), said he “dared not” consider an outright cancellation.

“If we go into total lockdown for two months, we will obviously need to take measures – the worst being the outright cancellation, but I dare not imagine that,” he said.

Rafael Nadal will defend his title after winning a record-extending 13th French Open last year, while Iga Swiatek of Poland is the reigning women’s champion.

Last season, the professional tours were suspended from March until August, with Wimbledon cancelled.

This year’s Australian Open was postponed by three weeks, although Wimbledon is still scheduled to take place in its usual slot, starting on June 28.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and