Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Golovkin eyes record, puzzled by opponent



Golovkin eyes record, puzzled by opponent

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Gennady Golovkin (right) dishes a right against Canelo Alvarez in their WBC, WBA and IBF middleweight championship fight. AFP

Golovkin eyes record, puzzled by opponent

Gennady Golovkin can claim a slice of middleweight boxing history on Friday as he chases a record 21st successful defence against mandatory Polish challenger Kamil Szeremeta in Florida.

The 38-year-old Golovkin (40-1-1, 35 knockouts) will move one clear of Bernard Hopkins for the most ever defenses at 160 pounds if he takes care of business against the unbeaten Szeremeta.

“It’s very exciting for any athlete to set a new record, whether it’s the 21st defense or any other record, the fact you’re setting a record is pleasing to me,” said Golovkin, the International Boxing Federation middleweight champion.

The behind-closed-doors fight at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino is also an opportunity for Golovkin to remind a worldwide audience that he remains a force in the division.

A solid but unspectacular unanimous decision victory over Sergiy Derevyanchenko in his last fight, in October 2019, fuelled the view that the hard-hitting Golovkin is in decline.

Even Szeremeta (21-0, 5 knockouts) risked tweaking the champion’s tail earlier this week by suggesting Golovkin was past his prime.

“We know his prime is behind him and I’m walking into my prime right now. He is still an extremely dangerous fighter and I need to remember this all the time,” said the 31-year-old Szeremeta.

Golovkin appeared puzzled by Szeremeta’s comments.

“Any athlete is entitled to his opinion. I can’t say if he’s confused. But the fight on Friday will show whether he’s confused or not. When I spar, I feel great and as strong, powerful, tenacious and I have as much stamina as I had five years ago - maybe even better,” said Golovkin.

While Golovkin admits that the prospect of a third fight against Mexican rival Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is increasingly unlikely, he is keen to fight on as his 40th birthday looms ever closer.

But the possibility of a third fight with Canelo, who defeated Golovkin with a controversial majority decision in Las Vegas in 2018, looks remote.

Golovkin said: “It’s been over two years that we’ve been throwing this around. It’s not my fault that this fight has not taken place. But there is a possibility this fight might never happen.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said