Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hamilton seeks magnificent seven in Canada

Hamilton seeks magnificent seven in Canada

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mercedes' British driver Lewis Hamilton (R) and teammate Mercedes' Finnish driver Valtteri Bottas (L) celebrate. AFP

Hamilton seeks magnificent seven in Canada

Lewis Hamilton will seek to complete a magnificent seven for himself and his record-breaking Mercedes team with another victory at this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix.

The defending five-time world champion can equal Michael Schumacher’s record total of triumphs at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and extend his team’s record season-opening run to seven straight wins with his 78th career
success.

But even with the likely boost of an upgraded Mercedes power-unit, he and his team are wary of any hint of over-confidence after the Briton’s stirring triumph under severe pressure at last month’s Monaco Grand Prix.

“We need to learn from that,” said Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff, referring to a strategic error that left Hamilton defending grimly on worn ‘medium’ tyres, not ‘hard’.

Hamilton’s individual brilliance salvaged victory in Monte Carlo, but Wolff is aware that he cannot do the same again in Montreal.

“If we have this situation again, in Montreal, we lose the race,” he added.

“It will be a huge challenge for us as the track characteristics could favour our opponents. There are long straights and fewer corners . . . But, we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

Hamilton need only recall his plight last year to serve as a reminder against any kind of complacency.

Then he was aiming to be the first driver to take four successive poles and wins on one of his favourite circuits, where he won his maiden race and has claimed six wins from 11 starts, including nine from the front row.

Instead, he finished fifth with engine problems as four-time champion Sebastian Vettel dominated, taking pole and victory for Ferrari. Team principal Mattia Binotto does not appear optimistic for a repeat.

“I think we will be in better shape, but the best car is still the Mercedes . . . Maybe the gap will close,” he said.

After his emotional feat in Monaco, where his triumph was dedicated to the late Niki Lauda, a three-time former world champion and Mercedes’ former non-executive chairman, Hamilton arrives in Canada with a 17-point lead ahead of team-mate Valtteri Bottas.

He suggested that the team would have a new engine for the power-hungry Montreal contest, following Ferrari, Honda – for Red Bull – and Renault in introducing their upgrades already.

He may need it as Vettel and Ferrari seek to end a run of 14 races without a win, stretching back to last August. The ‘Scarlet Scuderia’, who are seeking to recruit technical staff from rival teams, may also gain from a fired-up show from Charles Leclerc following his troubled early exit in his hometown race last time out.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this