Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Syrian blowout ends Cambodia’s Cup run




Syrian blowout ends Cambodia’s Cup run

Syrian blowout ends Cambodia’s Cup run

Cambodia’s historic journey through previously unchartered territory in the World Cup qualifying cycle ended late on Thursday night with a 6-0 blowout at the hands of a rugged Syrian side in a Group E clash at the sparsely filled Al-Seeb Stadium in Muscat.

There were around 100 home fans in the 14,000 capacity stadium watching a physically superior Syria ruthlessly exploit a rickety Cambodian defence to record an impressive scoreline, identical to the one they had delivered at Phnom Penh’s Olympic Stadium in their first leg clash on September 8 last year.

But for millions of war-ravaged Syrians, the national team’s sixth win out of seven outings came as a silver lining in nearly four years of gloom and doom.

The victory left Syria just one point behind leaders Japan as the two sides head for a massive showdown tomorrow at Tokyo’s Saitama Stadium to decide the group toppers, who will be assured of a ticket to the 12-team third round to be played between in August and September of next year.

As Cambodia returned home empty-handed with eight defeats in the five-team group phase, Syria left Muscat in a celebratory mood, their place in the third round likely secure even if they fail to get the revenge against Japan for the first leg 3-0 defeat.

The eight group winners and four best runners-up make the next phase. While Japan have already clinched their third round spot no matter what the result tomorrow, Syria’s record holds up very well among the second placed teams.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could