Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thailand out of badminton showpiece over Covid-19 concerns




Thailand out of badminton showpiece over Covid-19 concerns

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Thailand withdrew from badminton’s Thomas and Uber Cups after former world champion Ratchanok Intanon and other players pulled out over coronavirus fears. AFP

Thailand out of badminton showpiece over Covid-19 concerns

Thailand have withdrawn from badminton’s Thomas and Uber Cups after former world champion Ratchanok Intanon and other players pulled out over coronavirus fears, an official and her coach said.

Taiwan – the team of women’s world number one Tai Tzu-ying – and Australia are also skipping the tournaments, which will be played in a bio-secure ‘bubble’ in Denmark in October, the Badminton World Federation said.

The twice-postponed Thomas and Uber Cups, the men’s and women’s world team championships, will be the first international tournaments since the pandemic brought badminton to a halt in March.

Thailand had blamed its withdrawal on “special circumstances related to Covid-19 in addition to injuries to key players”, the BWF said in a statement.

Badminton Association of Thailand president Patama Leeswadtrakul said separately the decision was triggered by the withdrawal of several players.

“Despite Denmark’s strict measures and procedures applied to players . . . it’s understandable for some of the full-team players to withdraw because they are concerned about the pandemic,” she said.

Ratchanok’s coach Patpapol Ngensrisuk told AFP that the world No5 was worried about catching coronavirus ahead of next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympics.

“Ratchanok is very concerned about Covid-19 because she has already qualified for the Olympics. So if she contracts the virus, then she is worried about her future [at the Games],” Patpapol said.

“Her main goal right now is the Olympics.”

However, India’s PV Sindhu, one of the world’s highest earning female athletes, has reversed her decision to skip the Uber Cup.

Sindhu had previously pulled out citing a family function, but she has now changed her plans following a request from India’s badminton association.

Two other tournaments will be held in Denmark after the Thomas and Uber Cups on October 3-11, followed by three in consecutive weeks from November 10 in Asia, at locations that are yet to be announced.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped