Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tokyo 2020 organisers to discuss chief’s sexist remarks



Tokyo 2020 organisers to discuss chief’s sexist remarks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Tokyo 2020 president Yoshiro Mori listens to a question from a journalist during a news conference in Tokyo last Thursday. AFP

Tokyo 2020 organisers to discuss chief’s sexist remarks

Tokyo Olympics organisers are planning to meet this week to discuss their response to sexist comments made by their boss, said reports on February 9, after hundreds of event volunteers quit in the ensuing furore.

Gaffe-prone Tokyo 2020 chief Yoshiro Mori, 83, sparked uproar in Japan and abroad last week when he said women speak too much in meetings.

He has since apologised but refused to step down, and the International Olympic Committee says it considers the matter closed.

Japanese media said the Tokyo 2020 organising committee is planning to meet later this week, possibly on February 12, to discuss its response as calls grow for Mori to resign.

Following Mori’s remarks, 390 Olympic and Paralympic volunteers have quit, the committee said, noting that this number includes withdrawals for all reasons.

A total of 80,000 volunteers from Japan and overseas have been recruited for this summer’s virus-postponed Games.

Two people have pulled out of the torch relay and around 4,000 people made complaint calls to organisers, according to public broadcaster NHK.

The row is the latest headache for organisers already battling public disquiet about the delayed Olympics, with polls showing more than 80 per cent of Japanese oppose holding the event this summer.

Mori apologised on February 3 and said he wished to retract his remarks – but then became defensive when questioned, insisting he had heard complaints that women speak at length.

An online campaign calling for action against Mori has attracted more than 140,000 signatures, while tennis superstar Naomi Osaka slammed the comments as “ignorant”.

Top government spokesman Katsunobu Kato said that organisers should try to convince volunteers to return.

“It is important that the organising committee gives a careful explanation to volunteers,” he said, after Tokyo 2020 released a statement quoting Mori’s apology and reaffirming its commitment to gender equality and diversity.

But ruling party heavyweight Toshihiro Nikai also reportedly said Monday that volunteers “would change their minds when things calm down”, sparking further ire online and from other politicians.

“If they really want to quit, we’ll need to recruit new ones,” he said, according the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

Some Olympic sponsors have expressed disappointment to organisers over the furore, the Mainichi Shimbun daily reported.

Some firms told organisers they had received complaints and boycott threats after Mori’s comments, the Mainichi said, citing unnamed sources.

“We would like to refrain from ‘performing’ with president Mori” to promote products, the newspaper quoted one company official as saying.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and