Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boeing hit with more cancelled MAX orders

Boeing hit with more cancelled MAX orders

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
US regulators are days away from approving the Boeing 737 MAX to return to the skies. Jason Redmond AFP/File

Boeing hit with more cancelled MAX orders

Boeing Co on Tuesday said it was hit with another 12 cancelled orders for the 737 Max, as the flagship aircraft is close to returning to the skies after being grounded since March last year following two deadly crashes.

The US aviation giant, which has been battered by the Max crisis as well as the fallout from the pandemic that has devastated airline travel, received no new orders last month and delivered only 13 aircraft.

The plane was grounded after two crashes that killed a total of 46 people, but the company has been working with regulators to address the issues that contributed to the accidents and was closer to receiving the green light to return to service.

According to news reports that could be as soon as November 18.

“The Federal Aviation Administration [FAA] is in the final stages of reviewing the proposed changes to the Boeing 737 Max,” FAA administrator Steve Dickson said on Monday in a message sent to AFP.

“We expect that this process will be finished in the coming days, once the agency is satisfied that Boeing has addressed the safety issues that played a role in the tragic loss of 346 lives aboard Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302.”

Airlines can then start training their pilots, which could take several weeks.

American Airlines currently plans to return the 737 Max to service in the final days of the year, with daily flights from December 29 to January 4 on Miami-New York routes.

Southwest, which has more of the aircraft in its fleet, is not planning to schedule passenger flights on the plane before the second quarter of next year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration