Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fuming cigarette maker exits local industry body

Fuming cigarette maker exits local industry body

Packets of cigarettes displaying graphic health warnings sit on a table at the JTI International Tobacco office last week in Phnom Penh.
Packets of cigarettes displaying graphic health warnings sit on a table at the JTI International Tobacco office last week in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Fuming cigarette maker exits local industry body

It has only been a week since legislation came into effect that requires cigarette manufacturers to apply graphic images and warning labels to their packaging, yet the tobacco industry has already suffered its first casuality as one of the country’s biggest cigarette distributors announced yesterday that it was severing all ties with the local industry body set up to protect the interests of cigarette producers.

Japan Tobacco International (JTI) declared in a press release that it was ending its affiliation with the Association of the Tobacco Industry of Cambodia (ATIC), a group that includes Cambodia’s two largest tobacco companies – Viniton Group Co Ltd and British-American Tobacco (Cambodia) Ltd (BATC).

“JTI will only be part of an association which fully discharges its commitments and undertakings made,” said Cormac O’Rourke, general manager of JTI.

According to O’Rourke, ATIC failed to create a “level playing field” by flagrantly ignoring legislation and allowing unmarked cigarette package imports to continue to flood into the local market despite legislation requiring all cigarettes in the market to carry graphic images and warning labels on their packages as of July 23.

“We stopped importing any new cigarettes since July 8 and after three weeks of trying to encourage all members to abide by the law, we can no longer be associated with ATIC,” he said. “No manufacturer should be importing unmarked cigarettes after July 22.”

He stressed that JTI honoured its commitments, while “the rest of the companies are not prepared to follow the law and have not met the requirements”.

JTI is the manufacturer of Camel, Winston and Mevius cigarettes.

O’Rourke said that for the ATIC to be a credible association, it must force all member companies to abide by the same standards, and those that flout the law should be scrutinised equally by the Ministry of Health.

“There cannot be one rule for legitimate companies and another for those who ignore all government regulations,” he said.

The law on cigarette packaging was adopted in October 2015. The legislation requires that graphic photos depicting the ill-effects of smoking cover at least 50 per cent of cigarette packages with a written warning message in Khmer covering an additional 5 per cent.

BATC spokesperson Rattana Um declined to comment on the issue, but said in a statement that the firm had no objection to JTI leaving the industry body.

“BATC, along with the other members of ATIC, respects their decision to leave ATIC in line with the Association’s statute,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this