Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t produce plan a relative success

Gov’t produce plan a relative success

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The 2,000 households signed on to the Boosting Food Production programme were able to produce 28,130 tonnes of vegetables last year. POST STAFF

Gov’t produce plan a relative success

A $20 million government agricultural initiative achieved remarkable results in its three years of operation but still fell far short of its target, the General Directorate of Agriculture reported.

The Boosting Food Production programme, a three-year initiative launched in mid-2016, had set a goal of supplying the local market with 60,000 tonnes a year of vegetables that meet international quality and safety standards.

Spearheaded by the ministries of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; and Economy and Finance, the project was motivated by the pinch of rising food prices, unfavourable trends in international competitiveness and the more than $200 million in annual vegetable imports.

In its summary report of the initiative, the directorate said the 2,000 households signed on to the programme were able to produce 28,130 tonnes of vegetables last year, or 77 tonnes per day. This represents just 47 per cent of the target.

Last year’s figure is equivalent to a 13 per cent jump from the 24,900 provided in 2018, which was a far cry from the 10,200 generated in 2017, it said.

The project benefited 58,280 people directly and 301,680 indirectly during its implementation, it added.

Kean Sophea, deputy director of the agriculture ministry’s Department of Horticulture and Subsidiary Crops, noted that the initiative was a bit too ambitious and that it assumed that the average land area owned by the households was 4,000sqm.

However, that number is actually closer to 3,000sqm, he said.

Looking on the positive side, Sophea said: “Having provided farmers with modern techniques and irrigation systems, we were able to chalk up a higher volume of vegetables each year.”

Still, he said the first iteration of the programme was insufficient to cover the massive needs of producers and consumers.

On the other hand, it highlighted the potential of the Kingdom’s farmers to churn out more safe vegetables and fragrant paddy varieties when backed by technical assistance and given material and financial support, he said.

“The General Directorate of Agriculture wants to continue the food production promotion project in a second phase.

“[This is] to ensure clear and effective achievements toward expanding financial and economic profit to locals in the 11 target provinces and subsequent ones as per their cultivation potential,” Sophea said.

Ek Chantha, a farmer and member of the Ten Baht Agricultural Community based in Pursat province, said the community received technical training from the directorate and development partners as part of the initiative.

She said its members strive to grow vegetables according to good agricultural practices (GAP) and government policy.

“We’re seeing success these days, having been awarded GAP certification. Our farmers’ vegetable market has received loads of support, netting us higher prices, which has in turn allowed us to lead better lives and turn to growing safer vegetables,” Chantha said.

According to the report, the households covered by the initiative farm on 697ha, of which 1,873 own less than 1ha and 127 have more.

Farmers were organised into 138 safe-vegetable production groups and 33 vegetable production communities to grow “safe vegetables” in accordance with GAP regulations, it said.

“On-site inspections showed that farmers were able to expand their cultivation area when equipped with adequate irrigation systems and armed with better vegetable production techniques,” it added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and