Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kandal power plant ‘set for November’

Kandal power plant ‘set for November’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 400MW heavy fuel oil power facility in Kandal province’s eastern Lvea Em district will be fully operational in November. CHINA GEZHOUBA GROUP INTERNATIONAL ENGINEERING CO

Kandal power plant ‘set for November’

A 400MW heavy fuel oil power facility in Kandal province’s eastern Lvea Em district will be fully operational in November, Ministry of Mines and Energy senior official Victor Jona said on Wednesday.

Breaking ground in October last year, the $380 million facility is comprised of two main plants and is located on 43ha in Koh Reah commune’s Koh Reah Krom village.

One plant will be powered by a 200MW generator from Helsinki-listed Wartsila Oyj Abp and built by China Gezhouba Group Corp subsidiary CGGC-UN Power Co Ltd.

The other plant will be fitted with a 200MW generator from Germany’s MAN Energy Solutions, a subsidiary of automotive giant Volkswagen AG, and developed by China National Heavy Machinery Corp.

A substation will also be built to connect the facility to the national grid via a 230kV high-voltage transmission line.

Jona, director-general of the ministry’s General Department of Energy, told The Post that construction of the facility is more than 90 per cent complete.

“We are in the process of building and testing the station before connecting it to the national grid. Our substation, however, is 100 per cent complete,” he said.

He said the facility would only generate electricity when demand is high and that the Kingdom would not face electricity shortages during the upcoming dry season.

“Today we have no shortage of electricity and our energy demands are steadily declining due to Covid-19,” Jona said.

Speaking at a seminar in June, Electricity Authority of Cambodia executive director Teng Sokomal said there is no significant increase in electricity demand this year as the pandemic had caused some garment factories and hospitality industries to suspend operations.

He forecast that demand for electricity this year will decline by 20 per cent, compared to an increase of around 30 per cent last year.

“Normally, year-on-year energy growth and demand are on the rise, but not this year as Covid-19 has whittled away at factories’ production capacities,” he said.

Jona has said the Kingdom needs an average of more than 2,000MW of electricity a year, but demand could drop to 1,800MW this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could