Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Extended lockdown essential amid ongoing challenges: Lao PM



Extended lockdown essential amid ongoing challenges: Lao PM

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Lao Prime Minister Phankham Viphavanh. LAO NEWS AGENCY

Extended lockdown essential amid ongoing challenges: Lao PM

A continuation of the existing tough measures to contain the coronavirus outbreak is essential, Lao Prime Minister Phankham Viphavanh has said in a clear reference to the nationwide lockdown.

The government has extended the lockdown for another 15 days until May 20.

The overall number of Covid-19 cases remains high, the premier said in a statement issued on May 5. On May 6, Laos recorded 105 new cases bringing the total number to 1,177 cases. The country is struggling to contain the current community outbreak of the virus which began in the middle of last month.

“The government is aware that extending measures will cause difficulties in people’s daily lives,” Phankham said. “But we ask everyone to understand the situation and to be patient so that we may control and eventually overcome this virus outbreak.”

He pledged that the government would do all it could to create conditions that would enable people to gradually normalise their lives as far as possible. In addition, the government will introduce policies that will reduce the payment of various fees.

“Although these policies won’t meet the requirements of all sectors and people, it is the government’s intention to help in these times of hardship,” he said.

The government, the National Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control and local taskforces will follow up and closely monitor the situation with a view to easing restrictions in areas where the situation is favourable. But restrictions will be toughened in places where the outbreak escalates, the prime minister said.

With the overall number of infections remaining high, authorities have prepared makeshift hospitals across the country to ensure sufficient treatment facilities. In Vientiane alone, three makeshift hospitals with 1,200 beds have been prepared.

Phankham admitted that there were challenges undermining the government’s efforts to curb the outbreak. He said some people refused to be admitted to a health facility after testing positive for Covid-19, which created problems for authorities in charge. In addition, the information provided is sometimes unclear so that officials spend a lot of time trying to trace people who test positive.

Some people continue to break the rules on Covid-19 prevention measures, as reflected by the fact that people in some places had organised traditional festivals or gatherings in violation of the rule on large public gatherings. In light of these issues, the premier called for strict compliance with all government guidelines.

The premier expressed heartfelt gratitude to everyone who had had generously assisted the government in the battle against the virus outbreak.

Central authorities have received 9.5 billion kip ($1.02 million), $13.18 million and 4.68 million baht ($151,000) from various entities for the purchase of Covid-19 vaccines and supplies. In addition, friendly countries have provided equipment worth hundreds of billions of kip.

VIENTIANE TIMES/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy