Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Key Thai opposition figure faces lese majeste charge



Key Thai opposition figure faces lese majeste charge

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, founder of the now-dissolved Future Forward Party. THE NATION/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

Key Thai opposition figure faces lese majeste charge

A Thai billionaire opposition figure was accused on January 20 of defaming the monarchy, a day after a court sentenced a former civil servant to more than 40 years in jail for lese majeste crimes.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, founder of the now-dissolved Future Forward Party, was accused of contravening Thailand’s strict royal defamation laws by posting a video on January 18 criticising the government’s vaccine strategy.

In the video he raised questions about whether Thailand’s vaccination campaign is too reliant on Siam BioScience, which is owned by the Crown Property Bureau – a body that manages the royal family’s multi-billion-dollar fortune.

His video drew the ire of Thailand’s Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, which on January 20 filed a royal defamation complaint against him.

Ministry representative Tossapol Pengsom told reporters: “What Mr Thanathorn said is not the truth – the facts have been distorted.”

He said there were 11 instances in the video where the opposition figure allegedly insulted the monarchy, and the ministry would be file a complaint under the Computer Crimes Act.

The lese majeste law, referred to as “112” by its penal code section, is meant to shield the royal family from defamation, and carries sentences of between three to 15 years in jail per charge.

It has, however, been broadly interpreted to cover any perceived criticism of the monarchy, with some saying the law is also used to target government dissent.

On January 19, a court sentenced a former civil servant arrested in 2015 to more than 43 years in prison for disseminating audio clips deemed defamatory to the monarchy – the harshest punishment ever received.

The law’s use slowed in 2018, which Premier Prayut Chan-o-cha said was due to the “mercy” of the king.

But it returned in full force last year, in response to mass demonstrations staged by a pro-democracy movement calling for Prayut’s removal from office and – more controversially – for reforms to the unassailable monarchy.

So far, at least 43 protesters have been charged for their role in the protests.

The kingdom appears to now be going through a backlog of stalled lese majeste cases.

Thanathorn – who threw his support behind the movement when it started in mid-July – is the highest-profile target since the spike in the law’s use.

Political analyst Thitinan Pongsudirak of Chulalongkorn University said: “It means that the draconian law is in full swing and can be used indiscriminately.”

Thanathorn’s de facto spokesperson Pannika Wanich said it was “obvious” the law is was being deployed “aggressively against the government’s political enemies”.

Government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri did not respond immediately for comment.

Before it was disbanded, Thanathorn’s Future Forward Party was Thailand’s third-largest, drawing millions of supporters who were attracted to his anti-establishment platform during the 2019 election.

But they were felled by swift legal action, which saw its top executives, including Thanathorn, banned from politics and the party dissolved.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy