Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysia’s Najib appeals 1MDB conviction



Malaysia’s Najib appeals 1MDB conviction

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak (centre) arrives at the Court of Appeal in Putrajaya on Monday. AFP

Malaysia’s Najib appeals 1MDB conviction

Former Malaysian leader Najib Razak began an appeal on April 5 against his corruption conviction and 12-year jail term over a multibillion-dollar scandal that contributed to his government’s downfall in 2018.

Najib was found guilty on all counts last year in the first of several trials he is facing related to the looting of the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) sovereign wealth fund.

The 67-year-old – who remains free on bail – and his cronies were accused of stealing billions of dollars from the investment vehicle and spending it on everything from high-end real estate to pricey art.

On April 5, the former prime minister began his first challenge at the Court of Appeal.

“There was a miscarriage of justice,” defence lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah told reporters after proceedings wrapped up for the day.

He argued that the judge in the original trial did not have sufficient experience in handling criminal cases.

“This alone should make this appeal successful and the court can reverse the [earlier] judgement,” Shafee said.

Anger at the plunder played a large part in the shock loss of Najib’s long-ruling coalition at elections in 2018, and he was arrested and hit with dozens of charges following his defeat.

Following a lengthy trial, he was found guilty of abuse of power, money-laundering and criminal breach of trust over the transfer of 42 million ringgit ($10.1 million) from a former 1MDB unit to his bank accounts.

As well as the jail term, he was fined almost $50 million. He denies any wrongdoing.

Political instability

At the start of the appeal, his lawyer sought to get proceedings delayed by a month, saying he wanted to obtain additional documents from overseas to add to the evidence.

But the three judges hearing the case dismissed the bid.

During the appeal, set to run until April 22, Najib’s lawyers will argue he had no knowledge of the transactions into his accounts, according to documents submitted to the court.

They are seeking to portray him as a victim and blame financier Low Taek Jho – a key figure in the scandal who has been charged in the US and Malaysia – as the mastermind.

Low is believed to have played an influential role in the operations of 1MDB, although he held no official role.

The financier, whose current whereabouts are unknown, maintains his innocence.

If he loses the appeal, Najib still has a final chance to challenge the conviction at Malaysia’s top court.

Najib’s conviction came even after his scandal-plagued party returned to power as part of a coalition following the collapse of the reformist administration that ousted him at the 2018 polls.

It has destabilised the country’s ruling coalition, with Najib – who is still a member of Parliament – and other members of his party unhappy the charges were not dropped despite their support for the government.

The amounts involved in his first case are small compared with those in his second and most significant trial, which centres on allegations he illicitly obtained more than $500 million.

Najib’s wife, Rosmah Mansor – notorious for her vast collection of handbags and jewellery – was also arrested and put on trial for corruption following the 2018 elections.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants