Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Militant gets 15 years over Bali bombings

Militant gets 15 years over Bali bombings

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police escort Zulkarnaen, a senior leader of the Al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), who had been on the run for his alleged role in the 2002 Bali bombings, upon arrival at Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang in December of 2020. AFP

Militant gets 15 years over Bali bombings

An Indonesian court sentenced an Al-Qaeda-linked Islamist militant to 15 years in prison on January 19 for his role in the 2002 bombings that killed more than 200 people on the resort island of Bali.

The blasts, which came just over a year after the 9/11 attacks on the US, ripped through two bars packed with foreign tourists, and remain the deadliest militant assault in Indonesia’s history.

Zulkarnaen, a high-ranking member of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) militant group, was on trial for the Bali bombings as well as several other attacks carried out by a special unit under his command.

He “is guilty of committing terrorism and is sentenced to 15 years behind bars”, said the presiding judge at East Jakarta District Court.

The 58-year-old Zulkarnaen, whose real name was listed with the court as Arif Sunarso, was on Indonesia’s most-wanted list since the bombings, and evaded the authorities for nearly two decades until his arrest in December 2020.

Indonesian prosecutors had said Zulkarnaen set up the special JI cell and described him as a “key asset” for the group because of his experience as a trainer at militant camps in Afghanistan and the Philippines.

During the trial, Zulkarnaen denied involvement in the Bali bombings, but admitted they were carried out by his team.

He told the court that JI operatives did not tell him about the attack in advance and that he was not involved in specific planning.

But the judges were not convinced.

“The fact that he was the head of the team and agreed on a plan in Bali . . . it could be considered agreeing to the plan,” the presiding judge said.

The court also flagged other attacks by Zulkarnaen’s cell during the sentencing, including a 2000 attack on the Philippines embassy, as well as a series of church bombings.

His unit was also tasked with inciting ethnic and religious violence in Sulawesi and Molucca islands, where thousands died between 1998 and 2002, according to the police.

Zulkarnaen appeared in court via video link because of coronavirus rules.

Zulkarnaen was among the top leaders of JI, which was founded by Indonesian militants exiled in Malaysia in the 1980s.

The group grew to include cells across Southeast Asia, and developed links with international Islamist groups too.

It has been designated a foreign terrorist group by several nations, including the US and Australia – which lost 88 nationals in the Bali bombings.

“JI has a common ideology with Al-Qaeda and many members of the two organisations have a shared experience of training or fighting in Pakistan and Afghanistan during the late 1980s and early 1990s,” according to a UN Security Council sanctions entry on the group.

Zulkarnaen was one of Al-Qaeda’s “point men in Southeast Asia” and “one of the few people in Indonesia who have direct contact” with the group, according to the US State Department’s Rewards for Justice programme, which offered a bounty of up to $5 million for him.

JI was nearly dismantled by Indonesian authorities after the Bali bombings, but the organisation has been rebuilding.

Its spiritual leader, the firebrand preacher Abu Bakar Bashir, was released from prison last year after serving a jail term for helping fund militant training.

Indonesia has suffered numerous terror attacks since the Bali bombings, and is home to dozens of extremist organisations – including some loyal to the Islamic State (IS) group.

MOST VIEWED

  • Research key to Kanitha’s rep for expertise

    Sok Kanitha is used to weighing in on controversial issues using a confident approach that signals expertise and authority, and a recent video she made was no exception. Her “Episode 342: The History of NATO” video went live on January 16, 2023 and immediately shot to 30,000 likes and 3,500

  • Cambodia maintains 'Kun Khmer' stance despite Thailand’s boycott threat

    Cambodia has taken the position that it will use the term "Kun Khmer" to refer to the sport of kickboxing at the upcoming Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, and has removed the term Muay from all references to the sport. Despite strong reactions from the Thai

  • Knockout! Kun Khmer replaces ‘Muay’ for Phnom Penh Games

    Cambodia has decided to officially remove the word Muay from the programme of the 32nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games 2023 in May. “Kun Khmer” will instead be used to represent the Southeast Asian sport of kickboxing, in accordance with the wishes of the Cambodian people. Vath

  • Artificial insemination takes herd from 7 to 700

    Some farms breed local cows or even import bulls from a broad for the purpose of breeding heavier livestock for meat production. One Tbong Khnum farmer has found a more efficient way. Hout Leang employs artificial insemination to fertilise local cows. Thanks to imported “straws”

  • Chinese group tours return to Cambodia starting Feb 6

    Cambodia is among 20 countries selected by Beijing for a pilot programme allowing travel agencies to provide international group tours as well as flight and hotel packages to Chinese citizens, following a three-year ban. As the days tick down until the programme kicks off on February 6,

  • Capital-Poipet express rail project making headway

    The preliminary results of a feasibility study to upgrade the Phnom Penh-Poipet railway into Cambodia’s first express railway indicate that the project would cost more than $4 billion and would take around four years to complete. The study was carried out by China Road and