Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ottawa mayor declares state of emergency as jab protests rage



Ottawa mayor declares state of emergency as jab protests rage

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A counter protester holds a sign as truckers and supporters protest against mandates and restrictions related to Covid-19 vaccines in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on Saturday. AFP

Ottawa mayor declares state of emergency as jab protests rage

The ongoing truckers’ protest in the Canadian capital is “out of control”, the Ottawa mayor said on February 6, announcing a state of emergency as the city centre remained blocked by opponents of anti-Covid measures.

The protesters, who first reached the capital on January 29, have parked their big rigs on city streets and put up tents and temporary shacks – paralysing the capital to the consternation of officials and the mounting frustration of many residents.

Mayor Jim Watson announced a state of emergency that “reflects the serious danger and threat to the safety and security of residents posed by the ongoing demonstrations and highlights the need for support from other jurisdictions and levels of government,” a statement from the city said.

Earlier in the day, Watson had described the situation as “completely out of control,” adding that the protesters “have far more people than we have police officers.”

“Clearly, we are outnumbered and we are losing this battle,” he told CFRA radio. “This has to be reversed; we have to get our city back.”

Watson called the truckers “insensitive”, as they have continued “blaring horns and sirens and fireworks, and turning it into a party”.

The demonstrations began as protests by truckers angry with vaccine requirements when crossing the US-Canadian border, but have morphed into broader protests against Covid-19 health restrictions and the government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Locals have complained of the ceaseless sound of air horns and of being harassed, insulted or blocked by the protesters.

The truckers and their supporters have dug in, however, saying the protests will continue until the Covid-related restrictions are lifted.

Police on February 6 announced new measures to stop people from helping the protesters keep up their sit-in.

“Anyone attempting to bring material supports [gas, etc.] to the demonstrators could be subject to arrest,” the force tweeted.

Similar, if smaller, demonstrations hit the cities of Toronto, Quebec and Winnipeg on February 5. Police in Quebec said some 30 big trucks were blocking a major artery and had been warned they would face fines if they did not move soon.

In an emergency meeting on February 5 with Ottawa officials, police chief Peter Sloly complained that he lacked the resources to end what he called a “siege”, and asked for reinforcements.

Ottawa police are due to soon be reinforced by some 250 Royal Canadian Mounted Police – a federal force.

“This group is a threat to our democracy,” city council member Diane Deans said of the protesters on February 5. “What we’re seeing is bigger than just a city of Ottawa problem, this is a nationwide insurrection. This is madness.”

The police said on February 6 that they had issued some 450 tickets since the morning of February 5, for a variety of mostly minor infractions including excessive noise and use of fireworks, though one truck that turned out to be stolen was seized.

They said “extremely disruptive” protesters had in some cases endangered public safety, causing “unacceptable distress” to local residents.

Police have opened 97 investigations into possible criminal offences, the statement said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At