Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sudan frees civilian leaders held since putsch



Sudan frees civilian leaders held since putsch

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Sudanese protester waves a flag during a rally in the capital Khartoum following a deal-signing ceremony to restore the transition to civilian rule on Sunday. AFP

Sudan frees civilian leaders held since putsch

Sudanese authorities have released several civilian leaders detained since last month’s military coup, a former captive said on November 22, amid efforts to restore a fragile transition process towards full democracy.

Last month’s coup drew international condemnation and punitive measures, with the US on November 22 urging more progress before resuming millions of dollars of suspended aid.

“I was released late yesterday evening,” following a deal to reverse the military takeover, the head of Sudan’s Congress Party, Omar al-Degeir, who was among civilians arrested in the army’s October 25 power grab, told AFP.

“I was in solitary confinement and completely cut off from the world throughout this period.”

The Congress Party, however, slammed November 21’s deal, saying it “explicitly legitimised the continuation of the coup regime”.

Other civilian politicians were also released, including Sedeeq al-Sadiq al-Mahdi of the Umma Party, Sudan’s largest political group.

Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s adviser Yasser Arman, a leading figure of Sudan’s main civilian bloc, the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC), was among those freed, according to Degeir.

But other key civilian figures and ministers deposed in the coup have yet to be freed.

On November 22, 12 out of the 17 FFC members in Hamdok’s dismissed government, including foreign minister Mariam al-Mahdi, announced their resignation, refusing to collaborate with the coup leaders.

“We don’t question his integrity as a patriot or as a leader … but what happened yesterday was a setback, a setback in the trust,” Mahdi told the US think-tank, Atlantic Council, after Hamdok met with his cabinet.

Top general Abdel Fattah al-Burhan last month declared a state of emergency and ousted the Hamdok government, in a move that upended a two-year transition to civilian rule.

The move sparked international condemnation and punitive measures, and provoked a wave of mass street protests and clashes with security forces.

At least 41 people have been killed, the latest of them a teenager shot dead by security forces on November 21, according to pro-democracy doctors.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken told Sudanese leaders that November 21’s deal to reverse the military takeover was only a first step, the state department said.

“This is the first step. It’s not the last step,” department spokesman Ned Price told reporters in Washington.

He said Washington, which has suspended $700 in aid to Sudan, wanted to see more progress towards democracy in the African country.

Hamdok, who had been under effective house arrest for a month, emerged to sign the 14-point deal with Burhan under which the premier was reinstated and political detainees freed.

However, analysts warn the move simply “whitewashes” the coup, as it remains unclear how much power Hamdok’s team will yield.

The cabinet will remain under the oversight of a ruling council led by the military.

Thousands of demonstrators in multiple rallies on November 21 rejected the deal, shouting, “No to military power” and demanding that the armed forces fully withdraw from government.

Whereas Hamdok had previously been hailed as Sudan’s sole “legitimate” leader, protesters tore up posters of the premier and decried him as a “traitor” to the 2019 revolt that ousted autocratic ruler Omar al-Bashir.

The Sudanese Professionals’ Association, an umbrella group of unions that was also instrumental in bringing down Bashir, described the deal as “political suicide” for Hamdok.

The deal was welcomed by the UN and African Union, as well as the so-called Troika of Britain, Norway and the US.

It was also greeted by Saudi Arabia and Egypt, which have strong ties with the Sudanese military.

Burhan on November 22 renewed a pledge to lead Sudan to “free and transparent elections” on July 23.

The deal raises hopes the country will be able to return to its tenuous transition process since the ouster of Bashir following months of mass street protests.

But analysts voiced scepticism, stressing the general had satisfied the international community while at the same time consolidating his control over the transition process.

MOST VIEWED

  • No more Africa travel ban but new rules for arrivals

    The Ministry of Health has decided to lift the ban on travellers from or who have travelled through 10 African countries and instead issued a set of standard operating procedures to manage passenger arrivals at Cambodia’s international airports. The 10 African countries are Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho,

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • PM blasts Vietnam general over Covid claims

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on December 6 expressed dismay after Vietnamese general Hoang Xuan Chien, formerly in charge of Vietnam’s border defences, claimed that Cambodia was a source of Covid-19 transmissions to the country. Speaking at the opening ceremony for National Road 11 connecting Prey Veng