US President Joe Biden has led global condemnation of an “absolutely outrageous” crackdown by Myanmar’s junta that left more than 100 people – including several children – dead in the bloodiest day since the coup two months ago.
Soldiers and police have killed hundreds in brutal suppression against weeks of mass protests demanding a restoration of democracy and the release of detained civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
At least 107 more people were killed on March 27, the UN said, as the regime staged a major show of might for Armed Forces Day – an annual parade showcasing Myanmar’s military prowess.
“It’s absolutely outrageous and based on the reporting I’ve gotten, an awful lot of people have been killed totally unnecessarily,” Biden told reporters on March 28.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said the junta’s celebration of its armed forces had been blighted by “a day of horror and of shame”.
The latest chorus of international condemnation came after the defence chiefs of the US, Britain, Japan and nine other countries denounced the Myanmar military.
The rare joint statement said: “A professional military follows international standards for conduct and is responsible for protecting – not harming – the people it serves.”
The death toll from crackdowns since the February 1 coup has climbed to at least 459, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) monitoring group.
AAPP said a further 13 people were killed on March 28, as funerals were held for some of the victims, after the deadliest day of violence in the eight weeks since the coup.
In Mandalay, the country’s cultural capital, the family of Aye Ko mourned at a funeral service after he was killed overnight.
“I am very saddened to lose my husband – together with my children I’m heartbroken,” his wife Ma Khaing said as she grieved with her four children.
On March 29 the British foreign ministry advised its nationals in Myanmar to leave as soon as possible, following “a significant increase in the level of recent violence”.
‘Shameful, cowardly, brutal’
Despite the dangers, protesters hit the streets again on March 28 in parts of commercial hub Yangon and several other cities around Myanmar.
A 16-year-old boy lost his hand in one Yangon neighbourhood while trying to lob back a grenade that security forces had thrown at protesters, a rescue worker said.
The UN put March 27’s death toll at 107 people – including seven children – but expected it to rise further.
UN envoys Alice Wairimu Nderitu and Michelle Bachelet said in a joint statement: “The shameful, cowardly, brutal actions of the military and police – who have been filmed shooting at protesters as they flee, and who have not even spared young children – must be halted immediately.”
Military-run broadcaster Myawaddy TV gave March 27’s death toll as 45 and said the crackdown was necessary because protesters had used guns and bombs against security forces.