Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-CNRP voice their concern at monitoring

Ex-CNRP voice their concern at monitoring

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police inspected the ex-CNRP activists gathering at Banteay Meanchey province on 23 May, 2019. Supplied

Ex-CNRP voice their concern at monitoring

Some 35 former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) members in Kampong Thom province expressed concern for their safety on Thursday after authorities watched over several of their gatherings and questioned them.

Thai Thim, a former CNRP provincial councillor, claimed that some former CNRP members met on Wednesday for a meal, with their meeting watched over by police.

“We met at four different locations in Baray district to eat Khmer noodles, but two of the four locations were interfered with by 20 members of the authorities. The group was afraid and went to eat Khmer noodles at my home,” Thim said.

He said after their meal, one of the group dared not leave as police were waiting outside his home.

Thong Vibol Sokhom, a former CNRP council member based in Kampong Thom province, told The Post on Thursday that in a separate incident on Sunday, the authorities had also watched and questioned a group of former CNRP members after they had gathered to eat at his house.

“If we cannot eat Khmer noodle or gather together in one place, our freedom is getting worse because we cannot walk anywhere or meet with people. Some of our people have been summoned. They are afraid to do things now,” he said.

Hak Monghout, Kampong Thom province’s Baray district governor, told The Post that no authorities had stopped people from eating noodles.

“We need to monitor any meeting that might harm people’s safety. No authorities have free time to watch over them [constantly] because people are entitled to their freedom."

“If they did not do anything illegal, they should not be worried. Sometimes, the monitoring was for prevention because this was a political campaigning period. They were questioned because of some concerns about their gathering,” he said.

Sok Rotha, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said Cambodian laws defend the rights of citizens, adding that if the accusations were true, it was a violation of the law.

“When we looked at the former CNRP members’ activities, they had only gathered to eat Khmer noodles only. It should not be watched as if it is an actual crime by itself."

“Therefore, the authorities should not continue to watch over them and should not summon them for questioning to clarify anything as it affects their human rights,” Rotha said.

Since April, Battambang provincial court and Kampong Thom police have in total summoned some 70 former CNRP activists and members to answer questions regarding an alleged violation of the Supreme Court ruling that dissolved the party and banned its activities.

On Sunday, The Post reported a further nine former CNRP members in Battambang province were summoned by the provincial court for questioning for allegedly violating the Supreme Court ruling.

Former CNRP member in Battambang province Suon Chamroeun said that the latest nine had been summoned by provincial court prosecutor Chheun Sophon to appear at court on Friday morning for “disrespecting the Supreme Court’s ruling”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the