Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 50 convicts get pardons for Khmer New Year



50 convicts get pardons for Khmer New Year

Justice Ministry official Soch Sophanara briefs the media last week on the 321 applications the ministr received for royal pardons and sentence reductions. Of those, 50 applicants are granted early release or shorter prison sentences.
Justice Ministry official Soch Sophanara briefs the media last week on the 321 applications the ministr received for royal pardons and sentence reductions. Of those, 50 applicants are granted early release or shorter prison sentences. Hong Menea

50 convicts get pardons for Khmer New Year

Eight prisoners are expected to walk free on Saturday, the beneficiaries of the Cambodia's traditional Khmer New Year pardons.

The Ministries of Interior and Justice, which received 321 requests for clemency before the holiday, on Wednesday said it would grant amnesty to 50 applicants. In addition to the eight pardons, another 42 are to have their prison terms reduced, including six women, said Kim Santepheap, spokesman at the ministry.

Santepheap declined to identify the pardoned prisoners or to describe the crimes for which they were imprisoned.

Last year the pardoning system came under fire when it was revealed several rapists were among those handed shorter sentences during holiday pardons, and Licadho’s Am Sam Ath said the system was open to abuse through bribery and corruption.

The pardons and sentence reductions must still be signed off by the King.

Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed that there will be no pardons for political prisoners, including opposition leader Kem Sokha, who was jailed for “treason” in September last year and is awaiting trial.

General Prisons Department spokesman Nut Veasna claimed Cambodia “does not have political prisoners”, but noted that imprisoned “activists” were not eligible for pardons as they had not yet served two-thirds of their sentence as required.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could