Following the closure of KTV karaoke parlours, beer gardens and nightclubs, officials will start to make the rounds to ensure business owners follow the new government guidelines.
Ministry of Tourism under-secretary of state Top Sopheak told The Post on November 10 that all tourism departments and relevant authorities were following government orders to ensure adult entertainment business activities ceased.
“Previously, the government ordered the closure of karaoke [clubs] and entertainment clubs, which we call adult entertainment centres, but we did not close restaurants or resorts. But without guests or because of bankruptcy, some closed or suspended [their operations],” he said.
He added the ministry had created a Covid-19 Control Team to work with relevant authorities to conduct nationwide inspections to ensure the new guidelines are being followed.
Sopheak called on all tour operators and tourism businesses to be patient and participate in preventing the spread of Covid-19 by making their business locations safe for customers.
“Businesses that the government prohibits, such as KTV and entertainment clubs, must stay closed. If businesses reopen in violation of the guidelines, authorities will take action in accordance with legal procedures,” he said.
On November 9, tourism minister Thong Khon issued an announcement about the closures.
Khon said municipal and provincial governors must continue to implement the guidelines of the tourism and health ministries.
Preah Sihanouk provincial tourism department director Taing Sochet Kresna told The Post on November 11 that officials had inspected more than 20 entertainment venues in the province to ensure they are following the guidelines.
“There are more than 40 entertainment venues in our province, but about 50 per cent are closed due to Covid-19,” he said.
He added that several businesses had closed on their own while some were still operating as restaurants, which is allowed.
According to a Phnom Penh municipal tourism department report, more than 400 entertainment venues suspended their businesses following the ministries’ instructions in response to the so-called November 3 event, when Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto visited Cambodia and later tested positive for Covid-19 in the Thai capital Bangkok.