​Angkor beer promoters to hold off on protests | Phnom Penh Post

Angkor beer promoters to hold off on protests

National

Publication date
27 January 2016 | 06:56 ICT

Reporter : Charles Rollet and Bun Sengkong

More Topic

Beer promoters protest outside the Angkor factory in Phnom Penh last week.

The union behind the protests of 22 Angkor beer promoters, half of whom said they were fired last week for going on strike, says it will not hold renewed demonstrations on the case until after a final decision is handed down by the Arbitration Council.

The 11 promoters, whose strikes were sparked by lengthened nighttime working hours with no additional pay, said they were fired on Thursday despite an order from the council that all protesters would return to work while it deliberated on the case.

Sar Mora, president of the Cambodian Food and Service Workers Federation, said the union had filed an additional complaint based on the alleged firings, which he said “completely violated the Labour Law”.

However, Mora said the CFSWF would only consider launching a campaign for the workers to be rehired once the council announces a result on the overall dispute. “The process of the council … should take almost a month,” he said.

Khieu Tola, a lawyer for Angkor beer’s parent company, Cambrew, maintained that the 11 left their jobs of their own accord due to the extra hours well before strikes even began.

Contact PhnomPenh Post for full article

SR Digital Media
#41 St 228, Phum 4 Sangkat Boeng Rang, Khan Doun Penh, Phnom Penh Cambodia

Tel: Celcard: 078 555 166/ 078 555 133
Smart: 086 822 999 / 086 277 999

Copyright © All rights reserved, The Phnom Penh Post