Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities urge public over military ceremony



Authorities urge public over military ceremony

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodia's Army stands at the opening ceremony of Win Win Monument in late December last year. Heng Chivoan

Authorities urge public over military ceremony

The Army Headquarters will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its establishment on Thursday in a private military ceremony. In conjunction with this, a government spokesperson urged the public to be aware of the movement of troops and armoured vehicles, as well as fabricated reports.

The celebration will see Prime Minister Hun Sen and his wife preside over the event, described as a private meeting of the military, its spokesman Mao Phalla said. Phalla confirmed that hardware from more than 100 military units arrived at the Army Headquarters base on Saturday night.

Before the mobilisation, governor of Phnom Penh Khuong Sreng announced the movement of armoured vehicles from Kandal province’s Takhmao town to join in the event at the base in the capital’s Por Sen Chey district.

The announcement by Sreng said that after the event, the army vehicles would return to the headquarters of the Bodyguard Unit via the same route. He requested people not be concerned at seeing the movement of military hardware.

Phalla said this would be the first celebration of its founding after the Army Headquarters was established 20 years ago. He said the coming celebration would be in the form of a private meeting of army units without a public military parade.

“All types of hardware will be displayed including trucks, armoured vehicles and tanks. On Monday, the troops will rehearse a procession. It will be the first time in 20 years since the command was created [that this has happened],” Phalla said.

Ministry of National Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat could not be reached on Sunday for comment regarding the history of the army command’s establishment.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said on Sunday that Phnom Penh Municipal Hall had already informed the public about the celebration in order to prevent any distortion of news as to the reason behind the movement of military equipment.

However, he said some people had fabricated news after the announcement of the upcoming military ceremony. He said the government is keeping an eye on those who invent such news and legal measures against them would follow.

“We have informed the public since the beginning that the mobilisation has a clear intention and location, but we can see that some people have been distributing fake news."

“The government is monitoring the situation in order to take legal measures,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration