Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bandith’s behind bars



Bandith’s behind bars

Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith sits at a police station in Phnom Penh on Saturday after turning himself in to authorities.
Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith sits at a police station in Phnom Penh on Saturday after turning himself in to authorities. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Bandith’s behind bars

More than three years after shooting three female garment workers involved in a demonstration, former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith finally arrived in Svay Rieng Provincial Prison on Saturday to serve out his long-delayed sentence.

Buot Chenda is taken to a hospital after allegedly being shot by the then-governor of Bavet town, Chhouk Bandith, during a protest outside a Puma supplier factory in Kratie province in 2013.
Buot Chenda is taken to a hospital after allegedly being shot by the then-governor of Bavet town, Chhouk Bandith, during a protest outside a Puma supplier factory in Kratie province in 2013. Derek Stout

Three years, from shots to surrender
 
The shooting
THEN-BAVET town governor Chhouk Bandith fired into a crowd numerous times during a protest at the Kaoway Sports factory in Svay Rieng province on February 20, 2012. His shots injured three female garment workers.

A confession
BANDITH loses his job as governor in March 2012, the same month a court official tells journalists he confessed to the crime. The prosecutor says “it’s not right to arrest him. I don’t see it as important”.

Charges dropped
EIGHT months after charges were first brought against Bandith, the case is dropped by the Svay Rieng Provincial Court, in December 2012.

Case reopened
IN MARCH, 2013, the Court of Appeal orders the Svay Rieng court to reinstate the charges against the former governor.

A guilty verdict
CHHOUK Bandith is sentenced on June 25, 2013, to 18 months in prison for shooting the three garment workers, although rights groups decry the “weak” charges laid against him. Bandith goes into hiding.

Arrest ordered
DEPUTY Prime Minister Sar Kheng sends a letter to National Police chief Neth Savoeun in September of 2013 ordering Bandith’s arrest.

Hun Sen wades in
PRIME Minister Hun Sen on August 3 calls on police to arrest Bandith to comply with an Interpol “red notice” issued in March, breaking his long-held silence in the case.

The game’s up
BANDITH ends three years in hiding by walking into a police station in Phnom Penh on Saturday and giving himself up.

Svay Rieng provincial deputy prosecutor Phan Rattana said Bandith was detained on Saturday after he was sent to the provincial court.

“We completely implemented the verdict,” he said.

Svay Rieng Provincial Prison director Suos Sakho confirmed the news, saying that the former governor is currently in a shared cell and not receiving any special treatment.

“He is a normal prisoner, so there are no special conditions or a special cell for him,” he said.

“This means he is being detained in a [5-metre-by-6-metre] cell housing 30 other prisoners.”

The detention came after Bandith – who was sentenced by the Court of Appeal in 2013 to 18 months in prison and fined 38 million riel (about $9,200) for shooting three female garment workers at a demonstration at the Kaoway Sports footware factory in February 2012 – turned himself in.

He managed to evade authorities for more than three years after the initial sentencing, effectively disappearing since June 25, 2013, when the Svay Rieng Provincial Court issued his arrest warrant.

A rights worker yesterday claimed Bandith was allegedly in the Kingdom the entire time.

The case was brought back to public attention last week when Prime Minister Hun Sen broke a long silence on the case, calling on authorities to comply with an Interpol “red notice” and hunt down the fugitive.

“In the case of Chhouk Bandith, if police do not arrest him, they are wrong,” he said on August 3. “There is a red notice from Interpol. There must be arrests.”

Just a few days later, Bandith arrived at the Phnom Penh police station.

Am Sam Ath, senior investigator with rights group Licadho, alleged that Hun Sen’s involvement in the case was crucial to bringing the criminal to justice. In one call to action, the premier managed to boost his reputation while exerting influence over the courts, Sam Ath claimed.

“Chhouk Bandith, who the authorities often said was abroad until there was cooperation with Interpol, was not abroad – he was inside the country,” he said. “If the prime minister did not want to arrest him, the police forces wouldn’t have spotted him.”

One of the victims in the 2012 shooting, Buot Chenda, was relieved to see her attacker finally pay for his crimes, even though she is still anxiously hoping for damages to be paid.

Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith (centre) is escorted into a Phnom Penh police station on Saturday.
Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith (centre) is escorted into a Phnom Penh police station on Saturday. PHOTO SUPPLIED

“If the prime minister did not intervene, Chhouk Bandith may not have decided to turn himself in,” she said. “We are also asking the court to order [him] to pay compensation to us [victims].”

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a