Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bangkok admits shooting civilians

Bangkok admits shooting civilians

Thailand Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon
Thailand Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon speaks in Phnom Penh yesterday. Vireak Mai

Bangkok admits shooting civilians

Mere days after Thai Prime Minister and coup leader Prayuth Chan-ocha said his country’s soldiers never fire at unarmed civilians in Cambodia, Prayuth’s minister of defence apologised for cross-border fatal shootings and even floated the possibility of compensation for victims.

The remarks came in a joint statement yesterday from Thailand’s Minister of Defence Prawit Wongsuwan and his Cambodian counterpart Tea Banh that was issued after the 10th General Border Committee meeting at the Sofitel in Phnom Penh.

Prawit, who is also deputy prime minister in Prayuth’s government, admitted that the shootings happen, but said they were unintentional.

“For this issue, the Thai side would like to apologise and pay for some damages. We have no intention [to shoot civilians]. This is a problem that we need to discuss and resolve. We do not want it to happen or shoot anyone to death,” Wongsuwan said.

In his portion of the joint statement, Cambodia’s Defence Minister Banh concurred, saying that the Thais were not intent on killing Cambodians who crossed the border illegally.

“It does not happen every day, but in fact, sometimes it does happen … occasionally, but it is not that we do not solve it. We still get a hold of each other and settle it,” he said. “Actually, we have reduced this subsequently, but not entirely, that’s why we still continue to meet to discuss, to delegate responsibility.”

The joint statement also said that the countries would cooperate on fighting human trafficking, the exploitation of labour, illegal logging, deforestation and other illicit activities along the border.

Prawit’s comments are something of a diplomatic about-face after Prayuth earlier this month dismissed reports of a Cambodian woman from Oddar Meanchey province being shot in the head by Thai soldiers on December 9. He said the region was “plagued by illegal logging”, leading to fights between soldiers and loggers. Local officials say the woman, 55-year-old Horn Chem, was looking for food.

Prayuth did, however, say that a joint panel involving both countries would be set up to investigate the shooting, which may have been a response to a letter sent from the Cambodian government demanding that shootings stop and that the Thais look into Chem’s death.

The joint statement did not say how any compensation would be carried out or offer any details about a plan to tackle the problem. Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately return a request for comment, and Cambodia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman, Koy Kuong, could not be reached.

Am Sam Ath, senior investigating officer for rights group Licado, was skeptical that anything would happen to benefit victims.

“If they still continue bilateral talks, they are useless, because they have shot more than 100 citizens, so they have to find a mechanism through the International Criminal Court,” he said.

According to the Ministry of Interior, at least 69 people were shot by Thai soldiers in 2013, and another 165 people have been arrested. Figures from civil society claim that from 2008 to 2014, 123 Cambodians were shot by Thai soldiers.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this