Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bikes, timber pieces seized in Mondulkiri, Ratanakkiri




Bikes, timber pieces seized in Mondulkiri, Ratanakkiri

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
O’Yadav district military police seized motorbikes used to carry processed wood and 12 illegal timber pieces of koki and sokrom luxury wood. Military Police

Bikes, timber pieces seized in Mondulkiri, Ratanakkiri

Three purpose-fitted motorbikes used to carry processed wood and 12 illegal timber pieces of koki and sokrom luxury wood were seized by the Royal Gendarmerie in O’Yadav district, in Ratanakkiri province, and police in Mondulkiri’s Keo Seima district, for further legal action, said the provincial Forestry Administration.

O’Yadav district military police commander Sok Min, told The Post on Monday that on April 5, he led forces patrolling the forest to prevent and investigate natural resource crimes.

There were three wood-carrying motorbikes parked in the forest about 1km from Tien Village, Yatung Commune, in O’Yadav District, he said.

“Near the motorbikes, the authorities found a total of eight pieces of luxury wood, including six pieces of koki timber and two pieces of sokrom.

“The motorbikes and the seized timber have been handed over to officials at the O’Yadav Forestry Administration to measure and take further legal action,” he said.

Ratanakkiri provincial Forestry Administration chief Keb Kot told The Post that as of Monday evening, he had not yet received a report on the handover or evidence of a crime from the authorities or officials from the O’Yadav Forestry Administration.

“Even the timber measurement report . . . I haven’t received it yet,” he said.

Separately, in Mondulkiri provincial commander of the Royal Gendarmerie Pai Iin told The Post that on Sunday morning that his forces patrolled several corridors near the Cambodia-Vietnam border to ensure security, safety and to check for natural resources crimes.

The police found four pieces of sokrom luxury wood hidden in the forest about a 0.5km from the Cambodia-Vietnam border.

“The wood pieces were taken by the police for temporary storage at the Keo Seima Royal Gendarmerie military barracks.

“It will be handed over to the Forestry Administration to be measured and for follow-up legal procedures,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15