Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Building at Ream Naval Base levelled

Building at Ream Naval Base levelled

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The US-funded maritime security facility was built in 2012. ASIA MARITIME TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE

Building at Ream Naval Base levelled

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said a US-funded facility at Ream Naval Base was demolished to make way for development.

His statement came after the Washington DC-based Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) released an image showing the absence of the building at the complex.

The building was funded by the US in 2012 and demolished between September 5 and 10, said the CSIS. It was one of several facilities funded by the US on the base. The think tank said the building is reportedly being relocated after Cambodia struck a secret deal to grant China access to Ream.

In July last year, an unidentified US official said Cambodia had signed a secret deal to allow the Chinese military to control the Ream Naval Base.

Media reported the official saying the deal would allow the Chinese military to host the Ream base for 30 years and allow its military to station troops, stock weapons and dock warships.

In addition to releasing the image, CSIS cited The Wall Street Journal, which claimed that Cambodia last year rejected US funding to repair a building at the same location.

Minister of National Defence Tea Banh told The Post on Sunday the building was the tactical command headquarters of the National Committee for Maritime Security. It is being relocated to Koh Preap, 29km away.

Banh said CSIS is making more of the situation than it deserves.

“In our sovereign sphere we have the right to put it in a place that is more proper,” he said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen told reporters on Saturday that the US didn’t construct the building but had made repairs to an old one. He described the reaction as the “nature of the superpower”.

Cambodia denied the allegations.

“The US allegedly said the Ream port is built for China. So, Cambodia seems to not have the right to develop it to defend its homeland. They alleged that [we] give it to this person or that person,” Banh said.

US Embassy spokesman Chad Roedemeier told The Post via email on Sunday that the embassy had seen credible reports that a US-funded maritime security facility at Ream Naval base built in 2012 and upgraded in recent years to help the country protect its coastal waters, has been at least partially demolished.

However, he referred questions to the Cambodian Army about what he called a “worrisome development”.

“We remain consistent in urging Cambodia to take all measures to protect its sovereignty and not allow any single country to have exclusive use of military facilities within its borders. Facilitating access to Ream for all of Cambodia’s partners, as Prime Minister Hun Sen has stated, with none having an exclusive or permanent presence, would be in line with the country’s Constitution and avoid eroding regional stability,” he said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said when he met with Cambodian people in Switzerland in July last year that Cambodia’s Constitution doesn’t allow for a foreign troop presence in Cambodia.

“I state solemnly that Chinese [troops] or troops of any countries will not be present in Cambodia,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided