Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Calls for mangrove protection

Calls for mangrove protection

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mangroves and wetland areas in Kep, Kampot, Preah Sihanouk and Koh Kong provinces are being illegally cleared and filled. Photo supplied

Calls for mangrove protection

Mangroves and wetland areas in four coastal provinces are being illegally cleared and filled in order to grab land and build homes for private ownership, said a letter from the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries dated November 19.

Its minister, Veng Sakhon sent the letter to authorities in Kep, Kampot, Preah Sihanouk and Koh Kong provinces, requesting action to ensure the areas’ preservation.

“Recently, ownership documents [have been issued] for mangroves in many fishing communities, especially in Preah Sihanouk province,” the letter read.

Ministry spokesman Neth Pheaktra said the ministry continues to implement the law.

“If there is a report about the crime, please submit it to the ministry for examination and solve it,” he said.

The Fishery Law states that flooded mangrove forests play an important role in the fishery sector, so clearing, logging, filling and surrounding land for private ownership is banned.

Article 3 of a sub-decree dated March 20, 2007, states that “fishing community [areas] are state public property”.

The director of the Cambodian National Research Organisation (CNRO), Sok Sokhom, said: “We notice that relevant experts are taking action to collect documents and send [people] to court, but the crimes in Koh Kong are more complicated [because] environmental officials do not pay much attention.”

He said that such crimes in Koh Kong are on the increase, especially in Andong Teuk and Chroy Svay, and in Preah Sihanouk province, the most violated areas are Stung Hav district and Ream in Prey Nop district.

“If the Ministry of Agriculture only releases a letter and does not take serious action, the offenders will continue to do it. I have not seen any legal action taken against offenders,” Sokhom said.

Preah Sihanouk provincial environment department director Samut Sothearith told The Post: “We cooperate with [police forces] inside and outside of the regions. As long as there are problems, we work with other forces to crack down on the crimes.

“We know the land clearing is related to economic issues. We need to work together to [crack down on] the crimes. Before, we could relax, but now we cannot. [Even] on Saturday or Sunday, we need to patrol, sometimes in the middle of the night.”

Koh Kong provincial Environment Department director Man Phala told The Post on Monday that after receiving the ministry’s letter, he forwarded it to all relevant institutions.

Sun Sophat, a representative of the Preah Sihanouk provincial communities and a land clearing observer told The Post on Monday: “Stung Hav protected forest and Ream National Park have seen [land] grabbing, but no one dares to speak out.

“They not only use human labour [to grab], they also use excavators to clear the forest. After clearing it, they plant trees such as coconut. The offenders are backed by wealthy individuals who pay local people to clear the forest [for them],” he claimed.

Prime Minister Hun Sen last year blamed officials for not revoking any land titles issued illegally in the coastal areas. But despite his stern order to take legal action, such land grabbing is said to continue.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges