Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese construction firm to be dumped for ‘shoddy work’ on NR7



Chinese construction firm to be dumped for ‘shoddy work’ on NR7

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The National Road 7 construction in Kratie and Tbong Khmum, which cost $36 million, was separated into three main worksites. The work was expected to take 18 months and the Chinese company would be responsible for its upkeep for three years while a Korean company inspected its quality. Ministry of Public Works and Transport

Chinese construction firm to be dumped for ‘shoddy work’ on NR7

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport has said it will not release a certificate approving the work of the Chinese company building the 164km National Road 7 in Kratie and Tbong Khmum provinces if it does not change course and follow the proper building standards as outlined in its contract.

Its minister Sun Chanthol made the warning as he led a delegation of technical experts to inspect the road in Kratie on Wednesday and discovered technical problems.

Representatives of the construction firm and officials from the provincial public works departments also attended the inspection.

The plan for the road construction, which cost $36 million, was separated into three main worksites. The work was expected to take 18 months and the Chinese company would be responsible for its upkeep for three years while a Korean company inspected its quality.

Chanthol said 80 per cent of the construction is complete.

“The ministry will not release a certificate to the company because there are some technical problems related to the construction.”

He also advised the contractor, technical advisers and related parties to cooperate and enhance the technical specifications of the road. He said they must follow the contract and book of standards without exception.

“If the road does not have a standardised quality, the ministry will not accept it. The ministry will only accept a good quality road that lasts long. We will inspect all worksites under the control of the ministry,” he said.

He added that the Korean company in charge of inspecting the road construction quality, Korea Consultants International Co Ltd, has accepted that the road has problems and the firm has agreed to fix them.

“We could not accept how they laid the tarmac and they agreed to do it again,” he said.

He advised the company to bulldoze areas where they had laid 4cm of tarmac over old roads instead of completely replacing them.

He added that a construction plan for a bridge over the Mekong River in Kratie province had been studied and will be open for bidding soon.

He said the bridge will speed up travelling and the transportation of products from Kratie to Kampong Thom province as well as decrease traffic jams and accidents.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could