Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese top number of offences

Chinese top number of offences

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
At least 241 Chinese nationals have been detained in the first three months of this year as crackdowns intensify in the Kingdom. Heng Chivoan

Chinese top number of offences

At least 241 Chinese nationals have been detained in the first three months of this year as crackdowns intensify in the Kingdom. Statistics indicate that Chinese nationals stand at first place in the number of offences, surpassing Vietnamese, Thai, South Korean and US nationals, said a Ministry of Interior report released on Tuesday.

The report came after senior police officers, department directors and representatives of embassies attended a first quarter meeting at the Ministry of Interior headquarters on Tuesday to discuss the results of the ministry’s hotline.

Eleven of the cases reported to the hotline were from foreigners and embassies. Eight of these have been solved, while three cases are currently under investigation.

The report said that during the first quarter of this year – from December 20 last year to March 19 – foreigners committed 82 offences across the capital and 11 provinces.

A total of 341 people from 20 nationalities were detained for committing 20 types of offences. Chinese nationals committed 241 offences followed by Vietnamese (49), Thais (926), South Koreans (four) and Americans (three).

The report said a total of 167 foreigners were victims of the same offences across the capital and 14 provinces over the same period. In total there were 211 victims from 35 nationalities, with Chinese nationals suffering the most at 98, followed by French (12), English (11), Germans (nine), and Americans (seven).

“The offences were caused in connection with drug dealing, sexual harassment, illegal marriages, the overstaying of visas and so on. The majority of victims were foreigners who suffered from accidents, illnesses, suicide and traffic accidents,” the report said.

Thong Lim, the deputy National Police chief in charge of the hotline, and National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun declined to comment on the issue.

O’Russey I commune police chief Thong Mardy told The Post on Tuesday: “In my opinion, the Chinese nationals who come don’t seek to learn our laws.

“The Chinese nationals who come here were mostly criminals in China who have poor track records. And they commit offences . . . were we to implement our country’s legal measures, there’d be no pardons for them."

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Statistics indicate that Chinese nationals stand at first place in the number of offences, said an Interior Ministry report. Heng Chivoan

“The issue is that Chinese nationals boast of relations with the Royal Government of Cambodia and claim they are very intimate. These are personal views, not common ones. If our government recognised the Sino-Cambodian friendship ties, they would not be allowed to come to our country in such an anarchic manner,” he said.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey said the increasing inflow of Chinese nationals into Cambodia is an issue that civil society groups have raised for discussion. They have called on the authorities to take proper action.

Chey said the government gazes upwards at the Kingdom’s economic progress through investments and tourism brought by internationals. However, they may view Cambodia as an anarchic country which manages its foreigners poorly, he claimed.

“The government should regard Chinese nationals as a group who are to be placed under administrative control and monitored for various offences. There is doubt all around when it comes to their driver’s licences – did they obtain them through corruption or are they [driving] without a driver’s licence?

“We insist that there be inspections of their comings and goings, their residences and their workplaces to ensure that they respect our traditions and customs, and Cambodian law."

“Otherwise Chinese nationals who hold guns and bullets of all kinds will raise worries that the authorities’ rules are no longer effective,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this