Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cluster bombs kill two in 2015

Cluster bombs kill two in 2015

A sign marks a partially unearthed cluster munition earlier this year. Kimberley McCosker/Handicap International
A sign marks a partially unearthed cluster munition earlier this year. Kimberley McCosker/Handicap International

Cluster bombs kill two in 2015

Two people died in Cambodia from cluster munitions last year according to a report released yesterday, though local NGOs say the Kingdom’s figures could be much higher.

According to the Cluster Munition Monitor 2016 report, Cambodia remains among the most contaminated countries in the world. The report said at least 4,644 submunitions – the smaller explosives inside of cluster bombs – had been destroyed in Cambodia last year, with an estimated 22 square kilometres of battlefield cleared.

Handicap International Cambodia program manager Kimberley McCosker said it was difficult to discern whether a death was caused specifically by a cluster munition, meaning casualties were often attributed to an “explosive remnant of war” instead.

“In reality, it is generally expected that the number of deaths and injuries is much, much higher than these official statistics say,” she said, adding there were 80 deaths from explosive remnants last year.

Cluster Munitions Coalition campaigner Tun Channareth, who lost a leg to an explosive, appealed to the government to sign the 2008 convention to ban the bombs.

“I have six children, I don’t want them or the next generation . . . to live with this.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio