Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Construction halted after crane collapse kills five




Construction halted after crane collapse kills five

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A crane collapsed on a house killing five women and injuring four in Poipet town, Banteay Meanchey province. FACEBOOK

Construction halted after crane collapse kills five

Construction has been halted at a Poipet building project after a crane collapsed on a house on Wednesday killing five women and injuring four.

The women were sitting in a house near the construction site when the crane fell on them at around 3pm in Phsar Kandal commune.

The 20-year-old crane operator, Puth Livin, was taken in for questioning, said Poipet town acting governor Keo Dara Raksmey.

“We are building a case to send to the court. The four victims who sustained injuries are still hospitalised at Poipet Referral Hospital. Two of them sustained minor injuries while the other two are in serious condition,” Raksmey said.

The company in charge of building “The Park City” gave $300 on Wednesday to each of the families of the victims who died.

Banteay Meanchey provincial governor Um Reatrey gave each family one million riel ($250) while the Banteay Meanchey provincial prosecutor, together with the Banteay Meanchey deputy police chief, gave each family 200,000 riel ($50).

The company will also pay $500 each to the two seriously injured women and $300 each to the women who sustained minor injuries, he said.

“We suspended construction while we investigate the incident. The Banteay Meanchey provincial prosecutor is leading the probe,” Raksmey said.

Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem said on Thursday that the injured women will recover. “We are finding a solution for this case. We want a good result for the victims,” he said.

Building and Wood Workers Trade Union Federation of Cambodia president Sok Kin said he is also investigating the case. He said the authorities should punish the owner of the company and not blame the workers.

“According to the law, the accident is the responsibility of the company even if it was caused by the staff. According to the law, it is the company that is careless,” he said.

Banteay Meanchey Adhoc provincial coordinator Sum Chankea said he wants the authorities to act responsibly and quickly with this case and not let it drag on.

“The court has not detained or punished anyone yet,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15