Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court hears battery convicts’ appeal

Court hears battery convicts’ appeal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two of three convicts involved in an assault case against another inmate at Prey Sar prison had their appeal heard on Thursday.

Court hears battery convicts’ appeal

Two of three convicts involved in an assault case against another inmate at Prey Sar prison had their appeal heard on Thursday.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has previously handed down a two-year jail term on San Long, 25, Pun Dam, 24 and Chivoan for assaulting another inmate in his cell on April 5, 2017, resulting in the victim’s collapse.

The verdict translated to two additional years on top of the trio’s existing sentence at the time. They each had been previously convicted of theft with a two-year jail term.

During Thursday’s Appeal Court hearing, Presiding Judge Nhoung Thol said only two of the three convicts had filed an appeal.

“The victim was kicked in the chest. If it hit a critical spot, the victim could have died,” Judge Thol told the duo.

One of the convicts, Dam, defended his actions, saying the fight started because the victim had insulted him.

“I was angry with him. I could have been released in 2017, but because I committed this offence, I am still locked up at the prison,” said Dam. “I ask the court to reduce my sentence.”

Long told the judge that he did not attack the victim, even though he had been accused of directing his assault in the victim’s facial area.

Prosecutor Pen Sarath said the two convicts had admitted that they indeed committed assault.

After the 20-minute hearing, Judge Thol said the verdict will be announced on June 13.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the