Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Demolition derby: Preparing the White Building



Demolition derby: Preparing the White Building

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The outside of Phnom Penh's White Building. Hong Menea

Demolition derby: Preparing the White Building

The Land Management Ministry and Japanese firm Arakawa have started marking off vacated sections of the White Building and disconnecting its utilities, with a ministry official saying he was confident the fewer than 10 families who have so far refused to move will agree to compensation before demolition is set to begin next Monday.

With less than 30 families still in the building, officials from utilities service providers have already started disconnecting the water and electricity supply to the building ahead of the July 17 demolition to make way for a brand new 21-storey mixed-use building. Hue Chenda, deputy director for the Land Ministry’s Department of Housing, said all families will vacate by July 15 and a local firm hired by Arakawa will start tearing down the structure.

He maintained that the handful of families holding out were being ‘greedy’. The ministry has offered the structure’s 493 families $1,400 per square metre for their apartments. “We don’t have a rule to give them higher [offers] than the others. In short, they cannot continue to disagree and remain in the building,” he said.

The ministry put out a statement on Tuesday announcing the demolition, with Chenda saying that they would make sure the vendors surrounding the building were unaffected.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants