Duong Kimlong (centre) enters the Phnom Penh Municipal Court last month. Photograph: Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post

photo6.jpg
The rioting of January 29 that saw the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh sacked and burned
- with the ambassador scaling a fence at the back of the embassy and fleeing by boat
- and more than a dozen businesses trashed, has sent relations between the two countries
to a new low.
Looters pick through whatís left of the lobby of the Royal Phnom Penh hotel.
In retaliation the Thais expelled the Cambodian ambassador "for his own personal
safety", and downgraded the embassy's status to that of charge d'affaires. Bangkok
has also suspended all technical and economic cooperation.
The government warned that those measures would remain in place until Phnom Penh
explained what had happened, fully compensated the Thai government and Thai businesses
for the damage suffered, and brought the guilty parties to justice.
Those demands were contained in a January 30 statement from the Thai Foreign Ministry.
The Thai government protested the "deplorable incidents" that had endangered
its diplomatic staff, and condemned the Cambodian government "in the strongest
terms" for its failure to protect the embassy and its staff.
But the strongest criticism was directed at senior Cambodian government officials.
The Thai statement noted that:
"Most objectionable was the fact that these life-threatening acts and wanton
destruction were allowed to occur and continue despite repeated and persistent direct
requests for protection from the Thai Ambassador to the highest levels of the Royal
Cambodian Government, who either professed helplessness or merely indicated seeming
indifference at the acute plight of our diplomatic mission."
The statement followed a phone interview to a Thai TV station by the Thai ambassador,
Chatchawed Chartsuwan. The Bangkok Post reported the ambassador's conviction that
the protesters were not all students, and that the protest was organized, not spontaneous.
He also accused the Cambodian authorities of being slow to help.
"I called for help from the defense minister last night [January 28], but help
came too late. They should not have any excuse. In the afternoon [of January 29]
I called everyone in the foreign ministry, the police, the defense ministry, but
they did not turn up soon enough," Chatchawed reportedly said.
General Khieu Sopheak, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior (MoI), said diplomatic
relations with Thailand and years of progress in the international community, were
obliterated overnight.
"It completely destroyed the face of Cambodia in the international arena,"
said Sopheak. "Those people that do this violence, they don't know what they
destroy.... By doing so, they don't love their nation, they don't love their country."
Following the destruction of the Thai Embassy and other Thai interests in Phnom Penh,
senior government officials including Chief of Police Hok Lundy and MoI Minister
Sar Kheng met on Wednesday night to try and bring the situation under control.
Minister of Defense Tea Banh conceded rioting had damaged bilateral relations.
"Thailand has already cut its relationship," he said. "The only option
is for us to take full responsibility, and we will continue to solve the problem."
Government spokesman Khieu Kanharith blamed the government's inexperience for its
poor handling of the riots.
"This is the first time we have had this kind of thing happening. We did not
expect this would happen," he said.
Asked whether the government could afford to compensate fully for the damage to the
embassy and Thai businesses, Kanharith replied: "We do have [the money] - we
have to do it. It's an obligation."
A foreign embassy official based in Bangkok spoke of the feeling there that the events
were orchestrated. He said the Thai government was "very, very angry".
"We have heard there was one [Thai] dead. If that is true, I think that will
damage the relationship even more," he told the Post on condition of anonymity.
"Thaksin is very hot-blooded and I hope his advisors can calm him down."
Although the Thais found it easy to forget such things, he said, "on the other
hand they are very, very nationalistic and proud". Insults to the Thai Royal
Family, he noted, caused great resentment.
"The Cambodians have to be very careful with what they do," he concluded.
The MoI said law enforcement officers were deployed late on Thursday with trucks,
motorcycles and armored personnel vehicles to ensure that violence did not flare
up again.
"We have mobilized all of our reserve forces," said Sopheak. "This
is under control. We have to make the looters stop."
He said about 1,000 military and law enforcement personnel were on patrol in the
city ready to respond to any disturbance. He vowed never to let it happen again.
But relations between the two countries deteriorated throughout the day. Major protests
erupted outside the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, and checkpoints on the Thai-Cambodian
border were closed for business. Military transport airplanes arrived Thursday morning
at Pochentong Airport to evacuate embassy staff.
Cambodian officials were apologetic.
"We are ready now to protect them," said Sopheak. "We don't have any
plans to ask them to leave, but if they want to leave we will provide them with every
available effort to protect them on the way to the airport."
"We are sorry for this incident," he said.
Besides a speech by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday morning, which was repeated
throughout the day on national TV, most government officials were hunkered down in
their offices and declined to speak.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs refused to comment on the previous night's violence.
Senior officials repeatedly said they were in meetings at the Council of Ministers;
the ministry's press office refused to meet reporters.
Contact PhnomPenh Post for full article
SR Digital Media Co., Ltd.'#41, Street 228, Sangkat Boeung Raing, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel: +855 92 555 741
Email: webmasterpppost@gmail.com
Copyright © All rights reserved, The Phnom Penh Post