Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families’ evictions to be reviewed

Families’ evictions to be reviewed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall temporarily suspended administrative action against eight families involved in a land dispute. Photo supplied

Families’ evictions to be reviewed

Phnom Penh Municipal Council chairman Pa Socheatvong said the Municipal Hall has decided to temporarily suspend administrative action against eight families involved in a land dispute at the Russey Keo development area.

Officials will be sent to investigate whether demolishing the houses of the eight families is the best course of action and if it complies with legal procedures.

“We have to review it first because there have been complaints as well as requests for intervention from the relevant institutions regarding the case.

“We have to assess whether the action lines up with legal principles and if there are alternative solutions that could be taken,” said Socheatvong.

The dispute, he noted, was between 177 families, who claimed to have legal ownership of the land, and eight families, who did not own legal land titles, living in the Russey Keo development area.

“The Ministry of Interior asked us to suspend administrative action so we could review it further. If it’s right, we will proceed with the demolition. Otherwise, we’ll have to make some adjustments,” he said.

On December 30, last year, the Ministry of Interior issued an urgent instruction to municipal governor Khuong Sreng to temporarily suspend the demolition to avoid causing damage to villagers’ properties and preserve the original state of the disputed area.

The letter, issued by ministry secretary of state Ngy Chanphal, came after a complaint was filed by the eight families living in Kilometre 6 and Tuol Sangke 2 communes situated within the Russey Keo development area.

The complaint was filed at the ministry and had been approved by its Minister Sar Kheng on December 24, last year.

Kong Ty and Prum Bo, two members from the eight families who filed the complaint, said they have protested nearly 30 years and refused to relocate, saying the solution was not fair to them.

They insisted on a proper solution and asked for a delay while waiting for a ruling from the court.

On December 26, the Russey Keo district committee, led by municipal deputy governor Mean Chanda, went to the area to start demolishing Bo’s property. The authorities also went there on December 27 and 30 to continue demolition of Ty’s property.

Authorities claimed the land on the disputed area will be distributed to the 177 families who had rightful claim to the area.

Protests ensued amid the demolition process, which caused a brief clash between residents and the authorities and led to the arrest of one youth.

According to the letter issued by Chanphal, the complaint was made against district governor Chea Pisey and his subordinates for destroying Bo’s property.

“With regard to this case, the Ministry of Interior requests the Phnom Penh governor [Sreng] to temporarily suspend the administrative action regarding the disputed area so inspection officials can investigate its potential impact to the involved parties and how it would affect the interests of the municipal administration,” said the letter.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At