Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fisheries Administration asks fishermen to protect resources in close season



Fisheries Administration asks fishermen to protect resources in close season

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fishermen collect fish to sell during the fishing season on Tonle Sap river in Russey Keo district in December last year. Hong Menea

Fisheries Administration asks fishermen to protect resources in close season

The fishing season will be closed soon and the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has called on the people to maintain and protect fishing resources, a statement issued by the Fisheries Administration under the ministry said.

The statement, issued on Tuesday and obtained by The Post on Thursday, said that between June 1 to September 30, all fishing zones in areas north of the chaktomuk, which means “four faces” in Khmer – a term designating the intersection of the Tonle Sap, Bassac, Mekong (from the north) and Meking (from the east) rivers – will be closed to fishing.

The areas include around the Tonle Sap river in Phnom Penh and Kampong Cham, Tbong Khmum, Kratie, Ratanakkiri, Mondulkiri, Preah Vihear, Pailin and Oddar Meanchey provinces, as well as in Kandal province north of the chaktomuk.

The statement said that between July 1 and October 31, rivers south of the chaktomuk will be closed to fishing. Areas include Phnom Penh and Kandal, Prey Veng, Takeo, Kampong Speu and Svay Rieng provinces.

During the closed season, fishermen will only be allowed to use family-fishing equipment as stated in Prakas 458 on Fishing Close Season issued by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in 2012.

Only fishing nets 100m or less in length will be allowed, said the Fisheries Administration statement.

The statement calls on fishermen to strictly abide by Prime Minister Hun Sen’s seven-point instructions. It also urges fishermen to help protect and preserve fishery protected zones, to “preserve fish for the next generation”.

The Coalition of Cambodian Fisheries director Long Sochet told The Post on Thursday that every year before closing the fishing season, the Fisheries Administration issues such a statement.

He said the laws banned only the middle- and large-scale fishing industry, but family-owned operations are allowed to fish during the entire closed season.

“For small-scale fishermen, there would not be a problem. They are allowed to continue.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could