Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Floods take heavy toll on six provinces

Floods take heavy toll on six provinces

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The National Committee for Disaster Management said six provinces have been seriously hit by the recent floods, with more than 5,000 families, 3,000ha of paddy fields and properties, roads and schools affected. national police

Floods take heavy toll on six provinces

The National Committee for Disaster Management said six provinces have been seriously hit by the recent floods, with more than 5,000 families, 3,000ha of paddy fields and properties, roads and schools affected.

National Committee for Disaster Management spokesman Keo Vy said on Monday that the worst-hit areas were the eastern provinces of Ratanakkiri and Mondulkiri and the coastal provinces of Preah Sihanouk, Koh Kong, Kep and Kampot.

The majority of the 5,869 families affected were in Preah Sihanouk, Kampot and Ratanakkiri provinces, he said. Of those, 1,342 families have been evacuated. Vy said 19 schools, eight pagodas, 3,119ha of paddy fields and 753ha of other agricultural land had been affected.

“Some of the flooded crops have been destroyed. The rice has not been destroyed because it’s just inundated,” he said, adding that the police, Military Police and army are ready to help those in need.

Some people in Ratanakkiri and Mondulkiri provinces have been temporarily evacuated from their homes to safe places, Vy said, and that they were able to take their pets and other important possessions with them.

Others have stayed at home because the flooding has only reached the ground floor, he said.

Vy said most homes in Sihanoukville had been flooded and the authorities had evacuated 295 families from Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nop district.

He said only a small number of people had been badly affected by flooding in Koh Kong and Kep provinces because the water had been released into canals and the sea.

However, 3,012 families, 286ha of paddy fields and more than 2ha of durian trees in four Kampot districts had been flooded, with 60 families evacuated.

The Konsat dam in Konsat commune in Kampot province’s Teuk Chhou district was breached on Monday but did not cause serious problems.

Kampot provincial governor Cheav Tay said: “We have fixed the dam already, so it does not affect people. “There has been no serious harm from the floods and no one has drowned in Kampot. We warned people in good time and now the flooding is receding.”

The Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology said that more than 100 workers, using some 20 items of heavy machinery, took 20 hours to repair the dam, which has a storage capacity of up to 10 million cubic metres of water.

Preah Sihanouk provincial spokesman Kheang Phearum said the rain had subsided and the flooding had receded. “If there’s no more heavy rain, there will be no more problems. We’re afraid of heavy rain,” he said.

Minister of National Defence Tea Banh called for all military and local authorities to be ready to help anyone affected by the floods.

Yun Phally, the Kampot provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said heavy rain since the beginning of the month, along with the opening of the Kamchay hydropower dam, had caused flooding in four communes in Teuk Chhou district.

At least four people died last week as a result of flooding in Sihanoukville and Ratanakkiri province.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a