Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four underage snatch thieves due in court

Four underage snatch thieves due in court

Four underage snatch thieves due in court

Chamkarmon district police in the capital will send four underage suspects to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday after they arrested the group on Sunday at Koh Pich Exhibition Centre on accusations of bag snatching.

Chamkarmon district deputy police chief Chhuon Meach Simolin said on Tuesday that the suspects committed many cases of snatch thefts in two districts – Sen Sok and Chamkarmon.

“We plan to send them to the court on February 26 as we are still questioning them one by one,” he said.

Meach Simolin said at about 2pm on February 11, the suspects snatched a handbag from a foreign couple in Tuol Tompoung I commune in Chamkarmon district. They then escaped on motorbikes.

After the crime, police investigated the case, collecting information from witnesses and noting the registration plate numbers of the suspects to identify them.

At about 10:30pm on Sunday, police arrested a total of eight suspects on Koh Pich. But after they questioned them, only four were found to be involved in the snatch theft and the rest were released.

However, police could not make their identifications public because they are minors and the court has not charged them yet.

“They confessed that they were students, but they dropped out of school. Their ages are between 15 and 17,” Meach Simolin said.

The suspects confessed that they snatched the bag from the foreigners in Tuol Tompoung I commune and from many other victims in the other two districts, Meach Simolin said.

Earlier this month, Ministry of Interior secretary state Sak Setha pushed the relevant authorities to act against all types of crimes across the country after a ministry report showed that they had increased last year compared to 2018.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro