Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fourth held in Thailand weapons case

Fourth held in Thailand weapons case

Some of the weapons seized from Flight Sergeant First-Class Phakhin Detphong in Thailand’s Trat province last month. Bangkok Post
Some of the weapons seized from Flight Sergeant First-Class Phakhin Detphong in Thailand’s Trat province last month. Bangkok Post

Fourth held in Thailand weapons case

Thai police have arrested a fourth suspect in the weapons smuggling case linked to a Cambodian immigration officer, according to Thai media, while a senior Cambodian Defence Ministry official said yesterday that any suggestions that the weapons came from Cambodia’s military arsenal had been ruled out.

The developments are the latest in the case which emerged on June 3 when a Thai air force officer crashed a pickup truck just over the Cambodian border in Thailand’s Trat province while transporting a weapons cache that included 29 AK-47s, four machine guns, explosives and ammunition.

According to Thai news station Nation TV, Thai authorities on July 10 arrested police Lieutenant Sima Ketep at his home in Lopburi province, more than 400 kilometres northwest of the crash site in Trat, which borders Koh Kong province.

The station said Sima has been charged with illegal weapons possession alongside the three other suspects in the case – the air force officer, Pakhin Detphong, Thai national Jakkapong Krairiang and Cambodian immigration officer Leang Piseth, who is a relative by marriage of both Defence Minister Tea Banh and former Koh Kong Provincial Governor Bun Leut.

The police have alleged that Piseth – who was arrested with Krairiang in the hours after the crash as the pair drove towards the Cambodian border – smuggled the guns to Thailand the day before the crash.

Sima was named by his co-accused as the “facilitator” of the arms trafficking, but has denied involvement, according to Nation TV, which also reported that Sima had previously been accused of weapons trading but that the case was dropped.

The weapons found on June 3 were destined for ethnic Karen rebels in Myanmar, according to Thai police, and Interior Minister Sar Kheng last month confirmed that the cache had been transported from Koh Kong into Thailand without passing through the province’s official international checkpoint.

Kheng vowed an investigation into the origin of the weapons. Interior Ministry and National Police representatives could not be reached yesterday to discuss the progress of the probe.

However, the director general of the Defence Ministry’s technical material department, General Chao Phirun, said that his department had undertaken a thorough check of weapons records for bases in the area – as well as of the Defence Ministry’s warehouse – and that no guns were missing.

“After the news about the smuggling, I checked. We found that no weapons were lost. There was no loss from the military side,” said Phirun, who also dismissed any other connections between the alleged trafficking and the military. “There is no link to that activity, we have already investigated it.”

Following decades of civil war, the European Union and Japan funded a six-year programme starting in 1999 that led to more than 140,000 weapons destroyed and the military’s remaining arsenal registered and stored in upgraded facilities. Phirun said that the strict gun-storing measures were still in place.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a