Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Genocide museum bans Pokemon Go after outcry

Genocide museum bans Pokemon Go after outcry

A Phnom Penh Post reporter views the Pokemon Go app in front of the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum earlier this week.
A Phnom Penh Post reporter views the Pokemon Go app in front of the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum earlier this week. Athena Zelandonii

Genocide museum bans Pokemon Go after outcry

The developer of the popular Pokemon Go smartphone app yesterday said they were reviewing requests to remove the collectible creatures from controversial locations around the world, but Cambodia won’t be waiting for them to take action.

Expressing outrage that the game features locations inside the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, site of a former Khmer Rouge torture facility where thousands were sent to their deaths, museum director Chhay Visoth has acted unilaterally, implementing new measures at the museum to prevent visitors from playing the game.

“I have instructed my officials to ban any visitors who come to play Pokemon,” he said yesterday. “We do not welcome this crazy game because this place is not the place to play a game.”

The developer, however, has still not provided a date for an expected removal.

“We have received requests to remove some locations,” a statement from developer Niantic read. “We are moving quickly to review all such requests.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one