Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government seizes fake foreigner docs

Government seizes fake foreigner docs

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Interior Ministry holds a meeting aimed at addressing issues surrounding immigration on Monday. It was chaired by Secretary of State Sok Phal. Photo supplied

Government seizes fake foreigner docs

The Ministry of Interior’s top brass on Monday said the government confiscated 30,000 “illegitimate administrative documents” belonging to foreigners from 10 countries throughout last year, with Vietnamese making up 90 per cent of the figure.

Kirth Chantharith, the ministry’s General Immigration Department director-general, said the seized documents included family books, residence books, identity cards, birth certificates and passports.

The statement was made during a meeting held at the Interior Ministry and chaired by Secretary of State Sok Phal aimed at addressing issues surrounding immigration.

Chanthartith said the government will continue to seize fake or illegitimate documents belonging to immigrants in a crackdown set to last for the next six months.

“There were about 3,000 people deported last year. If we count from 2014, the number stands at about 15,000 citizens from many countries,” he said.

Most of last year’s deportees, Chantharith added, were Vietnamese, Chinese and Nigerians.

“The majority of them [Vietnamese, Chinese and Nigerians] were involved in Voice over Internet Protocol-related crimes. But other foreigners from 40 other nationalities were also expelled from Cambodia,” he said.

Adhoc senior human rights investigator Soeung Sen Karuna suspected there is collusion amongst government officials in issuing national documents to foreign nationals who do not meet the requirements and procedures stipulated under the Kingdom’s Law on Nationality.

He urged tough measures against violators on both sides, saying: “Forging national documents is a crime. If we do not take prohibitive measures, more problems will arise. Those issuing the documents should also be held accountable. This sort of problem has occurred far too often and it has become the new normal.”

In August 2017, the government also issued a directive ordering the elimination and withdrawal of illegitimate national administrative documents held by foreigners.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro