Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Group mounts campaign to keep children in school



Group mounts campaign to keep children in school

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The survey showed children and young people who drop out of school did not successfully learn online while schools were closed. Heng Chivoan

Group mounts campaign to keep children in school

The Child and Youth Network in Cambodia launched a “back to school” campaign on Wednesday to seek support to ensure children return to classes and do not drop out of school.

The group found that 97 per cent of 239 children surveyed in 15 provinces and towns were severely affected in their daily lives by the Covid-19 crisis, while 48 per cent reported their lives had been changed dramatically by staying home.

A joint press release issued by the Child Advocate Network, Adolescent and Youth Reference Group (AYRG) and Cambodia Children and Young People Movement for Child Rights (CCYMCR) said the campaign seeks support from policymakers to keep children in school.

Child and Youth Network leader Hour Bopha told The Post on Wednesday that the survey showed children and young people who dropped out of school did not successfully learn online while schools were closed.

“We want them back in school following the hygiene guidelines of the relevant ministries. We do not want to see the dropout rate rise,” Bopha said.

He said learning from home had many consequences, including families ordering children to work, which didn’t allow them to study regularly.

Deputy team leader Thun Piti said the network will continue to meet with relevant ministries and departments to discuss the issues.

Piti said seeing the challenges faced by children dropping out during the Covid-19 crisis, the network wants their voices heard and hardships revealed to find a solution.

The campaign was broadcast live on Facebook on the pages of Child and Youth Network, World Vision International Cambodia, Plan International, Save the Children, CRC Cambodia, Terres des Hommes Asia, SOS Children Village Cambodia and ChildFund.

Ministry of Education spokesman Ros Soveacha said on Wednesday that the Ministry welcomes positive feedback and cooperation that contributes to education, youth and sports reforms.

“The Ministry of Education has received guidelines from the government to operate schools across the country through three phases. By continuing to prioritise the quality of education while participating in the management, protection and prevention of the spread of Covid-19,” Soveacha said.

He said 20 schools with high safety standards opened last month. The opening of some public schools and some private schools in the second phase began on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could