Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Institute land not leased: gov’t



Institute land not leased: gov’t

Workers demolish a section of wall at the Buddhist Institute in Phnom Penh
Workers demolish a section of wall at the Buddhist Institute in Phnom Penh on Monday. The Ministry of Cult and Religion has dismissed rumours that land of the Buddhist Institute was being sold or leased. Heng Chivoan

Institute land not leased: gov’t

Responding to reported fears among staff that the destruction of a wall at Phnom Penh’s Buddhist Institute could herald the piecemeal sale of the grounds to adjacent casino operator NagaCorp, the government yesterday chalked the alarm up to a simple misunderstanding.

According to the Ministry of Cult and Religion, the government hasn’t sold or leased any of the institute’s land, and is only allowing NagaCorp to assist government construction of a substation on the institute’s grounds. The substation will be used to power a new addition to the casino across the street from the institute.

Ministry spokesman Seng Somony yesterday invited reporters to a news conference about the casino development, during which press packets containing an estimated $100 were offered to the assembled media, though the Post declined.

Somony also told reporters that the ministry itself plans to relocate to a new building it will erect on the Buddhist Institute’s remaining grounds.

“The government plans to construct a seven- or eight-storey building for the Ministry of Cult and Religion on the Buddhist Institute land,” he said, adding that the ministry’s site at the Preah Sihanouk Raja Buddhist University would be repurposed by the university.

There were no such reassurances, however, for workers at the National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control on Monivong Boulevard this week, who found out that they are moving to Sen Sok district after the centre’s sale as part of a land swap to an undisclosed private company.

On Monday morning, centre director Chor Meng Chuor called a meeting to inform employees that the building had been sold and they would have to clear out immediately. He declined to provide further information, but said each staffer would be given $500 for the proceeds of the sale, according to an employee who asked not to be identified.

“We cannot successfully protest the decision, so we have to move unhappily thanks to the pressure from management,” the employee said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could