Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Journos: Drop RFA charges

Journos: Drop RFA charges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former RFA reporters Yeang Sothearin (in blue shirt) and Oun Chhin (back, in white T-shirt) are escorted by officials after being detained for questioning in November. FACEBOOK

Journos: Drop RFA charges

Some 40 local and international journalists from several media outlets in Cambodia released an open letter on Thursday, calling for the court to drop charges against two former Radio Free Asia (RFA) reporters.

The call comes following the release of journalists Uon Chhin and Yeang Sothearin on bail in August, with the pair remaining under court supervision on espionage charges.

The pair were originally arrested on November 14, 2017, with police initially saying they detained them for allegedly running an unlicensed karaoke production studio.

The Ministry of Interior later confirmed they were being investigated for allegedly setting up an RFA broadcast studio, which had been banned by the government a month earlier.

“We are very concerned over the serious charges against Uon Chhin and Yeang Sothearin. In addition, putting them under the court’s supervision makes it hard for them to live and continue their careers as journalists."

“They can’t move to live in another place without permission from the investigating judge, can’t travel abroad, and must show up at a commune police station every month,” the letter, dated January 10, read.

The letter continued that the charges serve to intimidate other journalists and negatively impact Cambodia’s press freedom.

Voice of America reporter Sun Narin, one of the signatories, said journalists must help one another when they are encountering difficulties.

“I appeal to all levels of the courts to put an end to the supervision of the RFA reporters and drop the charges against them,” he said.

Sothearin expressed his appreciation for the support, which he considered as a sign of shared understanding of the hardships faced by journalists in Cambodia.

“They are journalists, so they can read our mind and know our difficulties. Therefore, they have been trying to call for help, pushing for an acceptable solution and justice for both of us,” he said.

Sothearin said he is unable to work due to the court’s supervision order and hopes that by dropping the charges he will be able to find a job to support his family.

Ministry of Information spokesman Phos Sovann said the case is under the court’s jurisdiction, so he could not comment.

Media trainer and Cambodia Institute for Media Studies director Moeun Chhean Nariddh supported the appeal, saying it gave the two journalists much needed support and a sense that they were not alone in battling the court’s decision.

He added that the court should drop the charges as it was severely impacting their ability to live.

“The letter is just a statement to the country’s leaders, but the decision depends on the court. I wish the court would drop the charges because its supervision impacts their standard of living,” Chhean Nariddh said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro