Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kandal keeping an eye on river traffic from the capital

Kandal keeping an eye on river traffic from the capital

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Floating houses are seen in Kandal province’s Kien Svay district on Monday. Hean Rangsey

Kandal keeping an eye on river traffic from the capital

The Kandal provincial authorities are keeping a close eye on the movements of Vietnamese settlers in boats and floating houses with fish farming cages to prevent them from docking in the province after they were ordered to move by the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration.

Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophorn advised all district and town authorities to ban any settlers from docking.

“At this time, the provincial hall has no plans to pull down or move existing boats, floating houses or fish farming cages in the river. But we will not allow those who are moving from the river in Phnom Penh to dock in the river in Kandal province,” he said.

Over the past two days, and especially on June 13, more than 100 floating structures owned by Vietnamese settlers have moved from Phnom Penh’s Chbar Ampov, Chroy Changvar and Daun Penh districts to the K’am Samnar area in Kandal province’s Kien Svay and Lvea Em districts, according to Lvea Em district police chief Heng Sophal.

“Some of them have tried to dock at Point Poy Koh Teuk Khleang in Kien Svay and Lvea Em districts. But our police will not allow them to dock there and pushed them off to make way to the K’am Samnar area,” he said.

Kien Svay district governor Ou Chheang told The Post that he is leading forces to observe the situation along the river and prevent settlers from illegally docking there.

“We will allow them to cross, but we will not allow them to dock here. Our forces are keeping a close eye on them and will not allow them to dock at the riverbank. At this time, most of them have gone beyond our area of control,” he said.

He added that in Kien Svay district there were already many boats, floating houses and fish farming cages owned by Vietnamese settlers, but he had not been given permission from the provincial administration to pull down or move those constructions.

As of June 14, more than 80 per cent of the targeted structures on the river in the capital have been pulled down and moved. The Phnom Penh municipality has given the remaining 20 per cent three to five days to move, according to local officials.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia voted ‘world’s friendliest country’ in Rough Guides reader poll

    Cambodia ranked number one among the “World’s Friendliest Countries”, according to a reader poll conducted by London-based international website “Rough Guides”. Taking submissions through Twitter and Facebook, “Rough Guides”, a well-known travel agency and publisher of guidebooks, said the Kingdom “was by far the