Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kingdom counts 18 dead from Mekong floods

Kingdom counts 18 dead from Mekong floods

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A woman looks out over a flooded alley near the Mekong river in Kandal province’s Ksach Kandal district. Heng Chivoan

Kingdom counts 18 dead from Mekong floods

At least 18 people in the Kingdom have died and more than 40,000 families impacted by the Mekong River flooding this season, National Committee for Natural Disaster spokesman Keo Vy, told The Post on Monday.

He said floodwaters in the five riverside provinces of Tbong Khmum, Kampong Cham, Stung Treng and Prey Veng had reached alarmingly high levels.

“At least 18 people have died. Kampong Cham has seen 10 drowned. The water levels of the Sesan and Sekong rivers have reached the alert point,” he said.

Vy said normally they experience Mekong floods up to three times per year. Overall water levels, however, depended largely on rain and weather patterns.

On Thursday, Preah Sihanouk Governor Yun Min distributed five tonnes of rice seeds to 113 families who lived in the province’s Veal and Thmey villages.

“The distribution of rice seeds allows people to have enough for cultivation during the rainy season,” Min said.

He said the seeds were of a special type that could be harvested in only 105 days.

July flooding this year has damaged the more than 50 hectares of crops in Preah Sihanouk province’s Kampong Seila district.

The Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology on Monday claimed the water level of the Mekong river in Kratie province had reached 22.11 metres, surpassing the alert point. The water is now seeping into the province’s sewage system.

“Kratie province’s water resources department installed mid-size movable water pumps to transfer the floodwaters from the city sewage system into Romleach lake,” the Ministry of Water Resources said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of