Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour ministry says will extend subsidies for suspended workers

Labour ministry says will extend subsidies for suspended workers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
There have been 43 factory closures, affecting 14,578 workers. Hong Menea

Labour ministry says will extend subsidies for suspended workers

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training announced new payments to be made to workers in the garment and tourist sectors who had been laid off due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The latest subsidies will be the 44th round of payments which have totalled over $20 million in aggregate.

The ministry said disbursements would be made to 4,838 workers of 28 factories and other enterprises in the targeted sectors. The businesses had received permission to suspend the workers’ contracts under the Labour Law.

Recipients would be notified by text messages from Wing (Cambodia) Limited Specialised Bank, and they would have 10 days to collect payment. Unclaimed benefits would be returned to the government

In his public address on December 29, Prime Minister Hun Sen cited a report from labour minister Ith Sam Heng which noted there were currently 43 factory closures, affecting 14,578 workers.

“Since the beginning of the programme, the government has provided 83 billion riel to 329,091 factory employees who have been suspended from their work,” he said.

Hun Sen noted that some businesses had closed briefly before reopening. The government would continue to support workers whose contracts were suspended.

“We must continue to provide payments to laid-off workers. The government has the resources to assist these people,” he said.

The government decided to extend support payments for the first three months of the new year for suspended workers in the garment, textile, footwear and handbag industries, providing $40 per month. Employers are obliged to provide an additional $30, bringing the total monthly subsidy to $70.

Separately, the Ministry of Health said on December 30 that a 37-year-old Cambodian man from Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district had recovered from Covid-19. He had been infected after visiting a Zando fashion store on the evening of November 28.

As of December 30, Cambodia had recorded a total of 364 Covid-19 cases with 361 recoveries. Of the three patients remaining hospitalised, one is an imported case and two are linked to the November 28 community incident – a reference to the first confirmed case of local transmission.

The government announced an official conclusion of the November 28 event on December 29.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • Cambodia planning new border checkpoint at Thma Da

    Cambodia is looking into the possibility of opening a new Thma Da Border Checkpoint with Thailand to boost trade and tourism. The Ministry of Public Works and Transport said on December 4 that Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol led a technical working group

  • Hun Sen: Manet to be candidate for prime minister

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has reaffirmed that his oldest son Hun Manet will be his successor as Prime Minister if he is elected. Speaking during the inauguration of a new sewage treatment facility in Preah Sihanouk province on December 2, Hun Sen said Manet will be